You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-12 04:47:57

avx

conky on SLiM?

I'd like to know, if/how I can run conky on SLiM (and ideally also on slimlock)? Currently I'm using xdm, but since this machine is single user, I'd like to not always have to give the username, which xdm doesn't support.

#2 2011-07-12 14:14:35

ANOKNUSA

Re: conky on SLiM?

You can define a default user in the slim config file; the instructions are in Arch's SLiM wiki page.  As for running conky, I'm not sure what you mean.  Conky technically draws a it's own window onto the root window (desktop).  Did you see a screenshot with conky running over the login screen somewhere, or was this just an idea you had?

#3 2011-07-12 14:43:07

avx

ANOKNUSA wrote:

You can define a default user in the slim config file; the instructions are in Arch's SLiM wiki page.

I know that already, that's why I'd like to use SLiM instead of xdm, which I currently use.

Conky technically draws a it's own window onto the root window (desktop).  Did you see a screenshot with conky running over the login screen somewhere, or was this just an idea you had?

I don't need a screenshot, I have this running, but with xdm, which requires just a little fiddling with it's Xsetup file.

A screenshot from someone doing this under xdm on debian can be found here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/520/shotux7.jpg/

So, from the technical standpoint, it surely can be done, the mere question is, how to do it with slim, since I couldn't find any info on that.

Edit, short guide for XDM here: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/XDM/Customi … figuration

Last edited by avx (2011-07-12 14:45:04)

#4 2011-07-12 15:58:38

Guff
Website

Well, there's no facilities within SLiM to run programs when it starts up. If you boot into SLiM, I suppose you could try adding

& conky

to the line that starts SLiM in your inittab.

As for slimlock, even though I'm one of the guys that's been working on it, I've got no idea. You could just try setting your conky config to use an override window, and then run

slimlock & conky

No guarantees, though.

#5 2012-11-20 12:33:37

taheca

I'm sorry to bump this, but avx, did you ever solve this? Since I'm looking for an XDM alternative on this issue as well but can't find any.

~taheca

Board footer