You are not logged in.

#26 2011-07-12 00:28:28

stimut

Re: Arch runs hot on hp laptop!

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps you would be best served if you used xfce4 which is much smaller in footprint....not a GB install like kde4 and a simpler Desktop.........

It instaklls from pacman......

While it may make a very very slight difference to use xfce4 (bearing in mind it may even make it worse depending on how the developers programmed each desktop environment), compared with the power saving of turning off the unused video chipset and the other hardware tweaks, it's basically none-existant.

As an aside, vgaswitcheroo is missing for me too (I have both i915 and radeon modules loaded by using the blacklist and then rc.local trick). Haven't been able to work out why yet. Might have to use acpi_call instead.

#27 2011-07-12 00:44:55

stimut

tah_206207 wrote:

Ok i cant find /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch in my Arch linux. how can i add this option to my Arch kernel?

I found the problem. We need to load the debugfs filesystem. Best way to do it is to add the following to /etc/fstab:

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs 0 0

and then run 'mount debugfs' as root, or just reboot your computer.

tah_206207 wrote:

i have another questions about Arch:
i am beginner in Arch linux how can i make Arch better distribution for use in my laptop?which desktop runs better on Arch( Kde or GNOME3)?after installing Kde which software i should install?
tnx

It's really up to you. There is a page on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop but it mostly just talks about power management. I suppose that's because there isn't much difference between a laptop and a desktop except the power aspect.

#28 2011-07-12 20:36:31

amsri

Any solution for ATI/ATI switchable graphic card combination (as mentioned in earlier post)

#29 2011-07-12 21:36:33

tah_206207

stimut wrote:
tah_206207 wrote:

Ok i cant find /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch in my Arch linux. how can i add this option to my Arch kernel?

I found the problem. We need to load the debugfs filesystem. Best way to do it is to add the following to /etc/fstab:

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs 0 0

and then run 'mount debugfs' as root, or just reboot your computer.

tah_206207 wrote:

i am beginner in Arch linux how can i make Arch better distribution for use in my laptop?which desktop runs better on Arch( Kde or GNOME3)?after installing Kde which software i should install?
tnx

It's really up to you. There is a page on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop but it mostly just talks about power management. I suppose that's because there isn't much difference between a laptop and a desktop except the power aspect.

Ok thanks for your help
my Arch run as cool as Ubuntu.
thanks

#30 2011-07-22 15:19:36

tah_206207

Hi
i encounter with a problem after i changed my graphic to Intel sandybridge graphic! i can't adjust my laptop lcd brightness!
please help me to fix this problem.
thanks

#31 2011-07-30 09:15:01

kdotj

Hey guys,
my i these are recorded as "hit" then my laptop is through the roof!

Here is the output of sensors:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +81.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C)
temp2:        +74.0°C  (crit = +126.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +77.4°C  (high = +70.0°C)

This is while running eclipse and some other things. Normally the temp1 is around 72
I have an ATi Radeon HD3200 in my laptop...

I have added the "pcie_aspm=force" to my kernel line in grub. To note, my laptop also runs fairly hot under Ubuntu, but not this hot.

Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks!

#32 2011-07-30 18:24:11

samsagax

tnx

You need to mount the debugfs filesystem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bu … switcheroo

Board footer