You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-25 20:06:29

sven

[SOLVED]Newest KDE keeps on crashing (sigabrt) after update

I updated to the latest version using pacman -Rd and then pacman -Sy. Now each time I start KDE, I am getting a continuous flow of sigabrt (signal 6) crash dialog windows. Each one appears after 2 or so seconds - or even faster when I close them when they appear. I've tried this pacman -Rd two times now and now I am clueless what to do next. The same happened also on my other computer, but there I get only couple of sigabrt dialogs and on closing they stop to appear.

#2 2005-06-25 20:30:22

waldek_a

Re: [SOLVED]Newest KDE keeps on crashing (sigabrt) after update

Hi!
I used to have the same problem. I had to downgrade dbus and hal, unfortunately using brute force approach.
First I checked if I still had the old version in the cache (they got updated on my system yesterday and then the problems started):

[waldek@wolfblade /]$ ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg/dbus*
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/dbus-0.23.4-1.pkg.tar.gz
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/dbus-0.33-1.pkg.tar.gz

[waldek@wolfblade /]$ ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hal*
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/hal-0.4.8-1.pkg.tar.gz
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/hal-0.5.2-3.pkg.tar.gz

then I had to do:

pacman -Rd dbus
pacman -Rd hal

pacman -A /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hal-0.4.8-1.pkg.tar.gz
pacman -A /var/cache/pacman/pkg/dbus-0.23.4-1.pkg.tar.gz

and the messages you mentioned disappeared. I'm still getting a message about some kind kde media manager not running (I have a localized kde so it is a free translation), so maybe I'll try to downgrade kdebase which got updated this morning.
I'm not sure if it is the best method (pacman -Rd) but it worked in my case, maybe somebody more experienced with pacman can answer this question.

good luck

w.

#3 2005-06-25 22:21:56

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

#4 2005-06-26 11:03:25

sven

Thanks guys big_smile I tried your advice first,Penguin (seemed less to do) - and it worked. Error messages disappeared.

#5 2005-06-26 11:22:51

waldek_a

I did what Penguin said and worked fine for me too.
BTW how do you find such things (I mean "add dbus and hal to rc.conf")? I briefly searched kde forums for dbus and hal but could not find anything useful. I checkde rc.conf.pacnew created by one of the packages I've installed recently but they were not there. Or you just have to be the "Forum Adviser" ;-)

cheers

w.

#6 2005-06-26 11:35:31

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I think I saw something like that flash by the screen (depends on dbus and hal or something like that) after compiling 3.4 when it first came out, but I'm not sure.

#7 2005-06-26 13:45:24

IceRAM
Website

waldek_a wrote:

I did what Penguin said and worked fine for me too.
BTW how do you find such things (I mean "add dbus and hal to rc.conf")? I briefly searched kde forums for dbus and hal but could not find anything useful. I checkde rc.conf.pacnew created by one of the packages I've installed recently but they were not there. Or you just have to be the "Forum Adviser" ;-)

1. edit /etc/rc.conf
2. add "dbus hal" to the "DAEMONS=(.... )" list, before kdm, if you use kdm.

My DAEMONS line looks like this:

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng dbus @hal network portmap @fam @kdm @crond samba @lisa)

Note: you must first understand what's there and then use it. It's the way ArchLinux works. Otherwise, it is highly possible you break it.

(The @something daemons are loaded in background - this is somewhere in the docs)

#8 2005-06-26 18:03:41

waldek_a

@IceRAM:
thanks for help, I know how to edit rc.conf though.
Probably I did not make myself clear - I asked Penguin how he found out hal & dbus were needed for kde. I've never had it running as daemons - never thought it was needed until today :-) By referring to rc.conf.pacnew I meant I usualy compare those files  (*.pacnew) with my files to see if there are any new things included (like dbus or hal as daemons). At lease in the ones that are still in the /etc dir on my pc there was nothing (hal & dbus). I do not compile stuff that is already prepared as binaries, only software that are not available.
To cut the long story short - I agree with your post from this thread though:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … light=dbus

w.

#9 2005-06-26 18:44:40

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

there's an update now for kdebase with a patch.

If its not in the repos you should be able to update abs and make the package.

Board footer