You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-12 20:44:40

TheAceOfHearts

WiFi not working after upgrade?

My brother gave me his old Dell Latitude x300 with Arch installed.

I've been figuring out my way around it slowly. Last night he told me to update it with:

pacman -Syu 

So it updated everything nicely, once I told it to overwrite some older versions. After it finished installing I tried to connect to the WiFi again, and noticed it wasn't connecting.

When I select the wireless hotspot from the applet list, it shows Disconnected: The network connection has been disconnected. instantly.

I haven't really tried anything because I have no idea where to start. I looked around a bit, but I wasn't able to find any answers. Connecting it with an ethernet cable works.

It's using NetworkManager and according to the information it's version 0.8.9997.

Thanks for the help!

#2 2011-07-12 21:16:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: WiFi not working after upgrade?

You have an extreme lack of detail there - makes it very hard to suggest anything..

If your system update included a kernel upgrade, reboot your system.

Try the Manual Setup procedure from the wiki's wireless page. You will get more useful error messages, both on the command line and in your logs.

More generally - IMO you're going to need your brother to do more than just give you random commands to run. Both you and he need to put more effort into increasing your understanding of the way Arch works. For example, do you know what pacman -Syu actually does? You can find out by reading the pacman man page.

#3 2011-07-13 06:18:14

TheAceOfHearts

Re: WiFi not working after upgrade?

Sorry for the lack of details, I'm pretty new at this.

It included a kernel upgrade and I did reboot the system.

I read the manual page for pacman, and I understand what it does. (I think.)

I ran around the Wireless setup wiki page and the NetworkManager wiki. And I played around with the settings, now it appears to be working.

I'm not completely sure, but I think my connection settings were just jumbled up, so I removed my configured connections and added them again, and it seems to be working with my wifi now.

Thanks!

Board footer