You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-14 10:12:18

Labello
Website

Declare USB-port as external harddrive

Hi everyone.

I have had the following idea. I have got a dvd-player which has got an usb-port to plug in some flash-drives or stuff like that an play the MP3s that are on the drive. Since I am a very lazy person I was wondering whether it was possible to declare one usb-port as an usb-output. so that it is connected with some folder that contains data. and the usb-port somehow mimics the existence of a external drive that contains the data in the folder. so that I only have got to plugin a wire that connects laptop and dvd-player.

thanks in advance! anything that goes into this direction will be appreciated!

labello

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#2 2011-07-14 10:17:35

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Declare USB-port as external harddrive

Being a lazy person and using Arch is usually not the best combination. wink

What you describe doesn't sound like a feasible option; how would you attach the dvd-player to your laptop? If the player doesn't support some form of usb-passthrough / -hub, the data on the externally connected source will never be available.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-07-14 10:25:30

Labello
Website

Re: Declare USB-port as external harddrive

thanks for the quick reply.

first of all: after having setup arch you can easily be called a lazy person, since for me personally there never was any not self in flicted issue smile (read arch rocks)

and secondly i was wondering that too. I do not have any clue how the USB-Protocoll works and what hardware-specs are met. As far as I know there should exist some wires that have two male plugs on their ends. So I would use one of these. I am aware of the fact that this is not really a common application of the usb-ports on both sides. but i think most of the configuration should be done on the laptop-side. since the dvd-player only expects devices that are like an external drive.

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

Board footer