You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-24 14:55:58

poetofnumbers
Website

lost cdrw drive and mouse wheel with 2.6.11.10

Here a description of my setup:  I am running two kernels, the standard Arch 2.6.11.10 kernel obtained through the repos and a custom 2.6.11.10 kernel.  With both kernels, /dev/hdd, the location of my cd burner, is missing.  It existed when I was using 2.6.8.  I checked dmesg, and during the bootstrap process hdd is correctly recognized.  It is just after booting, I loose /dev/hdd.  I know that all the cables are connected because I booted into Knoppix 3.8 with their live cd in my burner.

I went into Knoppix to get their configuration settings for my Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse.  I am using the ExplorerPS/2 protocol with the standard mouse driver, ZAxisMapping set to '4 5', Buttons set to '5', and SendCoreEvents set to 'true'.  But xev still does not recognize any events when I roll the mouse wheel in either kernel.

Earlier this week, my computer shut down after a power outage.  At that time I was still just running only one 2.6.8 kernel.  When I started up my computer, I couldn't load any modules.  So I upgraded my kernel hoping the problems would go away.  I can now load modules, but lost the ability to use my mouse wheel or burn cds.  Could it be that my hardware is fried?  If not, what can I do?

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#2 2005-06-27 12:23:58

poetofnumbers
Website

Re: lost cdrw drive and mouse wheel with 2.6.11.10

well, reinstalling arch with the 0.7 cd seemed to have worked.  I have all of my drives.  My mouse wheel worked for awhile, and then decided to stop.  I'm wondering if there is a kernel module that I need to load.  The problem was clearly software, since Knoppix and the Arch bootstrap recognized everything.  I've got an UPS now, and hopefully this will prevent any future troubles with power failures.

While I know this is not an epidemic, I was hoping for more responses than I got.  Even an "I don't know" would have been helpful.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#3 2005-06-27 12:47:50

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: lost cdrw drive and mouse wheel with 2.6.11.10

poetofnumbers wrote:

While I know this is not an epidemic, I was hoping for more responses than I got.  Even an "I don't know" would have been helpful.

err...most people would consider that a useless post, dude.

Glad to hear you got it working though  smile

Board footer