You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-17 03:41:56

raginaot

[SOLVED] FATAL: module nvidia not found

Hi

I have been working on setting arch up on my laptop the past couple of days. It's a Thinkpad T61 with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M gpu.

I started with the nouveau driver and all was working fine, but I decided to switch to the propriatery driver to see if it had any better power saving features.

Well, I installed 'nvidia-utils 275.09.07' with pacman > ran 'nvidia-xconf' > reboot. All I got was a few GDM failed to start error messages.

So I start digging around the xorg log and what not, tried simply running startx. Turns out the 'nvidia' module is nowhere to be found.

If I 'modprobe nvidia'

FATAL: Module nvidia not found.

So I tinker with it a bit more with no results. Reinstalled a few times, even tried installing the latest beta driver from AUR. Then I just said to hell with it and did a fresh arch install.

Now I'm on a clean install. All I have done is sync and update with pacman, create a use and install X and the nvidia driver.

Run 'startx'. Same thing as before.

Where is that nvidia module supposed to be?

In /lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/modules.dep there is this line. I grepped 'nvidia' from it.

kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko.gz: kernel/drivers/video/fb_ddc.ko.gz kernel/drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.ko.gz kernel/drivers/video/vgastate.ko.gz kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.ko.gz

And that nvidiafb file is there. Don't know if that is the right one.

Am I doing something horribly wrong here or is this a bug? I'm really not sure at this point.

Has anyone else been unlucky enough to have to deal with this issue?

Last edited by raginaot (2011-07-17 16:49:29)

#2 2011-07-17 04:39:25

mikesd
Website

Re: [SOLVED] FATAL: module nvidia not found

Did you install nvidia as well as nvidia-utils?

The wiki has a great nvidia page.

#3 2011-07-17 12:46:15

raginaot

mikesd wrote:

ehm... I did not...

I must be getting dyslexic or something cause I don't know how many times I read that wiki page trying to find something I had missed..
Anyway, installed the nvidia package and it's all good now. Thanks.

I'm gonna go sit in the corner now.

#4 2011-07-17 19:37:32

MoonSwan

raginaot wrote:
mikesd wrote:

ehm... I did not...

I must be getting dyslexic or something cause I don't know how many times I read that wiki page trying to find something I had missed..
Anyway, installed the nvidia package and it's all good now. Thanks.

I'm gonna go sit in the corner now.

You're a big enough man to actually admit you've erred.  In my books that makes you a very respectable man so no more corner-sitting for you. wink

Board footer