You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-04 11:52:23

penguin

MEncoder: DVD to avi with subtitles results in screen flicker

I'm trying to make an avi-file using mencoder with subtitles. Playing the DVD, or the VOB-file in mplayer works and encoding it without subs in mencoder works, but as soon as I include the subs, the avi-movie starts to flicker like crazy after the first subtitle appears.

The command I use to encode.

mencoder dvd://1 \
     -ss 00:10:00 -endpos 00:01:00 \
     -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=96:vol=3 \
     -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:autoaspect \
     -vf crop=704:544:8:16 \
     -sid 5 -aid 130 \
     -o movie.avi

I've tried this on several movies, and the same result on all of them, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

#2 2011-07-06 10:33:51

yngwin

Re: MEncoder: DVD to avi with subtitles results in screen flicker

Any reason you're using lavc mpeg4, and not x264 or xvid?

#3 2011-07-06 16:35:08

penguin

I've tried using xvid (before I ran into the subtitle-trouble), but found it was a bit slower, (maybe because the default bit rate was higher?), and most of the mencoder tutorials talked about using lavc with mpeg4; plus x264 was too slow, on my 1 GHz machine when I tried it.

The important thing is that I can play it on my (rather cheap) DVD-player, and include the subtitle in the video ("hard code it"), since my dvd-player can't read .srt or .sub-files, and I don't want to watch my backed up movies from the computer, but from the DVD-player, just as I would I do with the originals.

At first I assumed the trouble had to do with the encryption of the discs, but since it works without subs, I assume these are the culprits. I'm new at using mencoder, so I assumed I was missing something, and google just tells me a lot of people are having problems with "motion flicker" but I could not find anything related to subs.

Are you suggesting I do something like:

-ovc xvid  -xvidencopts bitrate=-700000 \

instead?

#4 2011-07-18 08:14:28

penguin

doing the above does not help, however, I found the culprit. If I exclude the -vf crop=... option, it works --no flicker, so something about the crop option does not play nice with subtitles.

Board footer