You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-18 15:44:36

Cluckyx

[SOLVED]Did a full system update, now I think Gnome 3 has lost Dbus

Ok, so as the title says, did a full -Syu package update through pacman, I always have this problem when I update that the DE craps itself and crashes until I clear the pacman cache (something to do with no space for setting up pulseaudio or whatever)

So after going through the motions, my DE boots up and shows my wallpaper, then proceeds to show sad computer, unrecoverable error and the log out button.
But then, all my programs that are set to boot up on start up still load, albiet without window manager.
So of course, my first port of call is .xsession-errors:

Failed to play sound: File or data not found
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: No JS module 'dbus' found in search path
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '("No JS module 'dbus' found in search path")@gjs_throw:0
@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:10
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'No JS module 'dbus' found in search path'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '("No JS module 'dbus' found in search path")@gjs_throw:0
'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: No JS module 'dbus' found in search path

(nm-applet:1183): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy
'
'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: No JS module 'dbus' found in search path
gnome-session[1102]: WARNING: App 'gnome-shell.desktop' respawning too quickly

The rest of the file is just

(npviewer.bin:17965): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

over and over again interspersed with the starting programs loading up.

Now I certainly don't claim to know a lot about Linux let alone DE's but I do know that Dbus is pretty damn vital to Gnome. But I have no idea where to begin here. I've gone through the motions, reupdated etc. and I'm stumped!

Any thoughts guys?

Last edited by Cluckyx (2011-07-19 12:28:50)

#2 2011-07-19 10:21:05

Cluckyx

Re: [SOLVED]Did a full system update, now I think Gnome 3 has lost Dbus

Not wanting to bump my own thread or anything, but I'm still as lost with this as before. I've even considered the possibility of a corrupted mirror and switched mirror. but to no avail. dbus & gjs are definitely installed and everything is up to date.
Totally out of my depth here sad

Last edited by Cluckyx (2011-07-19 10:21:30)

#3 2011-07-19 12:28:35

Cluckyx

SOLVED by the infinitely awesome ioni in chat, written up here so it's googleable.

Identified as a corrupted install of gjs-1.0 package, from having too smaller partition for the package cache (half a package).

fixed by forcing a gjs reinstall with pacman -Sf.

Thanks

#4 2011-07-19 15:00:58

Dastingo

Wait, you were able to install a corrupted package? I thought Pacman checks package intergrity (through md5sum?) and will not install any corrupted packages since their checksum won't be correct. Am I missing something here?

Board footer