You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-27 19:05:01

Bysshe

SCSI DVD-ROM

I'm confused as to how drives work in Linux.  I thought I could just add similar lines in fstab as for the IDE except cdrom1 instead of "0", and then create the directory under "mnt" to get a SCSI DVD ROM to work.   I know I'm definately missing something, but I'm not getting anywhere with searching the forums or google.  Thanks for any help, as always! 

Error message:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdroms/cdrom1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

My fstab:

none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
tmpfs                  /tmp          tmpfs     defaults            0      0
usbfs                  /proc/bus/usb usbfs  defaults            0      0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cd   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/dvd  udf       ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1     /mnt/cd2  iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1     /mnt/dvd2  udf       ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/floppy/0          /mnt/fl   vfat      user,noauto             0      0

/dev/discs/disc1/part2 swap swap defaults,noatime 0 0
/dev/discs/disc1/part1 / ext3 defaults,noatime 0 1

#2 2005-06-27 19:37:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: SCSI DVD-ROM

ok - here's the deal... technically the kernel doesn't know what the hell a hard drive is, or a CD rom, or a scsi DVD writer - they're all just "drives".

When an IDE drive loads up, it is given a /dev/hdX designation, where X is a letter (a,b,c,d,e,f,...).  SCSI and SATA drives are /dev/sdX.

Now, udev (the user space tools which manage these devices) is able to understand "hmmm /dev/hdb is a cdrom drive, so let's make a /dev/cdromY symlink to it".  That is where you need to make some changes - in your udev rules (right now they detect only hdX devices for cdrom symlinks).

Hope that helps

#3 2005-06-27 21:06:14

Bysshe

Is udev a program I can start, or do I edit udev.rules?  I looked at the udev.rules file and there's quite alot of entries for SCSI.  I'm running the SCSI kernel from a SCSI HDD.

here are the CD symlinks:

US="ide", KERNEL="hd[a-z]", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/cdsymlinks.sh %k", SYMLINK="%c{1} %c{2} %c{3} %c{4} %c{5} %c{6}"
BUS="scsi", KERNEL="sr[0-9]*", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/cdsymlinks.sh %k", SYMLINK="%c{1} %c{2} %c{3} %c{4} %c{5} %c{6}"
BUS="scsi", KERNEL="scd[0-9]*", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/cdsymlinks.sh %k", SYMLINK="%c{1} %c{2} %c{3} %c{4} %c{5} %c{6}"

I did try changing the device to cdrom2 in fstab since the LUN is 2, but it didn't help.  I'm still very lost.

#4 2005-06-27 21:10:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ah, ok didn't know udev had scsi rules already....  :oops:

ummm anyway...
a) are you using udev? (devfs=nomount appended to the kernel boot params... check "ps aux | grep udev" to see if it's running)
b) do a "ls -l /dev/cd*" - it should expand symlinks for you, so you know which one to use....
c) what is the exact mount command you're using?

#5 2005-06-27 21:23:05

Bysshe

Okay, thanks man.  I'll set it to use Udev, and start looking into my own little config file if stuff don't work an easier way.  Thanks again, I'll be back with either good news or another question.  big_smile

Board footer