You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-18 23:14:56

testdude281

[SOLVED] KDE installation trouble

Hi,

i have just completed the arch installation upto xorg installation and have x running. when i try "powerpill-light kde", the installation aborts because these packages were not downloaded.

1)ntrack

2)redland

3)redland-storage-virtuoso

4)rasqal

5)lirc-utils

i have tried to install them using pacman but it still does not download them.its weird because, at the same time, their dependencies have been downloaded and installed successfully.

i have also tried to manually install them after downloading them myself but get an error. Here's the piped output for rasqal installation

resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): rasqal-1:0.9.26-1

Total Download Size:    0.00 MB
Total Installed Size:   1.59 MB

checking package integrity...
checking for file conflicts...
installing rasqal...
error: could not create directory /var/lib/pacman/local/rasqal-1:0.9.26-1/: Invalid argument
error: could not commit transaction

can somebody help me with this? should i force kde installation from the files already downloaded?

Also, i installed dbus as instructed in the beginners guide, but i find a warning message about dbus during bootup. something about "deprecated"(sorry, but its moving too fast to read). should i ignore this?

Last edited by testdude281 (2011-07-22 02:14:02)

#2 2011-07-19 00:17:35

karper

Re: [SOLVED] KDE installation trouble

Check if you've synced your local database with the repository:

# pacman -Syu

Also, check if you haven't filled up your root drive. If you have, you might have to delete pacman's cache using

# pacman -Scc

and open up some space to install the new packages.

Also, to format a segment as code, use square brackets [] instead of angle brackets <>.

Cheers!

#3 2011-07-19 02:09:04

testdude281

hi

i think some more info would be helpful. after i installed arch from the cd, i installed powerpill light and did a system upgrade using "powerpill-light -yu", so all the core packages i have now are the very latest. also, i have kept /var on a seperate 10 gb partition and it is very much accessible at the time of install, so i dont think it ran out of space.

#4 2011-07-19 03:33:35

toad
Website

You may want tu use reflector to get your mirrors up-to-date. That way and taking into account previous advice you should be fine.

Last edited by toad (2011-07-19 03:38:35)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#5 2011-07-19 04:23:14

testdude281

hi,

@toad : i dont think its a problem with mirrors. i have tried different mirrors, but the packages are not installing. so i dont think the packages are corrupt (if thats what you are implying). also i believe powerpill-light comes with reflector as a dependency. the / partition has 16 gb left and the var partition has 11 odd gb left, so i dont see how pacman -Scc would help.

i will try to do a fresh installation now. will let you know if it works out.

thanks toad & karper.

#6 2011-07-19 05:47:20

JackH79
Website

The error you read about something being deprecated is most likely the network setup in your /etc/rc.conf. It's been changed to a new a format. Make sure to read all the output from your first "pacman -Syu" after a fresh install.
To make sure what the output is, read this

#7 2011-07-20 12:55:46

testdude281

finally figured it out after 8 tries. the problem was the FAT32 partition on which i was trying to put /var. all the files which werent getting installed had ":" in their filenames (it now includes vi package), which is incompatible with FAT32. somebody needs to update the wiki with this info. i just walked into this problem without any warning in the guide.

@JackH79 : you were right. after i setup networkmanager and removed network, the error message did not repeat itself. thanks for the info. i was slightly worried for a sec.

thanks everybody.

#8 2011-07-20 13:00:01

toad
Website

Hm, interesting. Why on earth one would want to use this old, deprecated and pretty useless file system is another question, but my guess is that nobody even thought of the possibility when writing the wiki...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#9 2011-07-20 19:46:16

testdude281

coz i wanted to backup all my data on a windows machine. guess my arch pkgs will have to find another route (maybe via pendrive)

Board footer