You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-28 00:24:44

Todd_Z
Website

automatically load x

How do I log in a default user, with a supplied password, and execute startx on boot?

#2 2005-06-28 00:31:06

noamsml
Website

Re: automatically load x

well, since all commands in /etc/rc.local are executed as root, I am guessing it you can just add the following line to /etc/rc.local:

su <user> -c startx

I summon daemons from the depths of /etc/rc.d

#3 2005-06-28 00:37:26

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

install some *dm, like kdm or gdm, and those generally have functionality to autologin a user at startup.
Have the *dm start on boot, by adding it to the daemons array, or by setting the runlevel to 5..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-06-28 00:43:14

Gullible Jones

I don't think you want to have automatic logins... Just a matter of local security.

If you want to start X immediately after boot, use a display manager like XDM, GDM, or KDM - the wiki entry on Gnome has something on that, but I'll explain it here.

1. Open up your /etc/inittab file as root.

2. Change the 3 in the line

id:3:initdefault:

to a 5.

3. Edit the line that says

x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm --nodaemon

replacing "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm" with the display manager you want to use (or leaving it alone if you want to use XDM).

4. Save and exit.

#5 2005-06-28 00:57:07

IceRAM
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

..., but I'll explain it here.

You do realize that's an awful lot of work compared to adding "kdm"/"gdm" in the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf (=the Arch way, IMO), don't you? Any particular advantage over the DAEMONS solution when changing the runlevel (besides the (obvious) technical differences)?

P.S.: I wonder why xdm doesn't have a /etc/rc.d/ script... (maybe because it's ugly and almost nobody uses it?... I might be wrong)

#6 2005-06-28 12:14:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

IceRAM wrote:

P.S.: I wonder why xdm doesn't have a /etc/rc.d/ script...

Because it doesn't need one?

IceRAM wrote:

(maybe because it's ugly and almost nobody uses it?... I might be wrong)

Well, I use it, in the manner described above - not much work at all, if you ask me. Oh, and thanks to this User Contribution, it's not ugly either. It's installed automatically with xorg, and suits me, a non-Gnome/KDE guy, just fine.

Board footer