You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-20 21:25:39

okaylol

[SOLVED]New Arch install, cannot run ip command to set up wireless

Hello all.

I'm new to Arch, but not to linux. I'm moving over from Ubuntu. I manually paritioned my hard drive and got an Arch dual boot with windows 7 working. Right now I'm trying to get my wireless set up, but when i run "ip link set wlan0 up" I got the error "Bash: command not found"

Using some things I found reseearching the problem, i rran "whereis ip" and got /usr/share/man/man7/ip.7.gz, so I made a symbolic link, /usr/bin/ip to this file, but now I get the error "Permission denied" when I run ip. (I am logged in as root by the way)

Apologies for the newbie question, and thank you for the help.

Last edited by okaylol (2011-07-22 01:32:28)

#2 2011-07-20 21:31:55

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]New Arch install, cannot run ip command to set up wireless

Remove that symbolic link and install iproute2.

#3 2011-07-21 17:32:08

apefish

The only thing I can think of is that you don't have ip installed somehow.
I'm not sure what package it's in, but search around with pacman -Ss for networking stuff in core.

You'll eventually want netcfg for easier wireless setup, if you don't already have it.

That symlink you made was the wrong thing to do. You found the man page, which is not executable.
So when you try to run ip, your actually trying to run the manpage, which is why you get permission denied.
Even root can't run things that aren't programs.

You can probably find everything you need in the wiki. Good Luck.

#4 2011-07-21 17:41:58

okaylol

Thank you both. I ended up just doing a reinstall, I couldn't get arch to detected my Ethernet connection, and had no way to set up wireless without ip. Now I have wireless and wired Ethernet working, as well as network manager and kde.

#5 2011-07-22 00:40:26

thoffmeyer

Just a few tips, I dont know if arch has the "ip" command, but to setup wired/wireless connections you can use dhcpcd eth0 up if for dhcp and..
anything in /usr/share/man/ are likely manual pages and will not run since they are not programs, to bring these up and/or read them just type "man ip" or man <program> smile

#6 2011-07-22 01:28:01

ewaller
Administrator

Your ISO might be old enough that you don't have it on your boot media. If so, you could have used the older (deprecated) ifconfig program.

Anyway, If your problem is fixed, go ahead and edit your first post in this tread and prepend [SOLVED] to the subject.

Thanks, and welcome to Arch.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2011-07-22 01:31:26

okaylol

Ifconfig wasn't installed either i think... Either way, it works now that I have the ip command. Thank you all.

Board footer