You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-16 04:24:40

undeadpenguin
Website

Kernel compilation

Usually to recompile a kernel, I cd to /usr/src/linux and do make menuconfig. However, when I try to do make menuconfig there in Arch, I get an error from make (No rule to target 'Make menuconfig' Stop.). Where is the kernel source so I can recompile? Either that, or how can I get modules (soundcore being the main one)?

#2 2003-11-16 10:48:43

sarah31
Website

Re: Kernel compilation

the linux directory in /usr/src is a very stripped one which only contains vital header files.

depending on which kernel you are using (2.4.21 from the iso or 2.4.22 if you upgraded) you have different options:

1. if you are using 2.4.21 then you will be able to find the tarballed kernel source on the cd. or you can download the the vanilla source from kernel.org.

2. if you are using 2.4.22 then you will have to download a vanilla kernel from kernel.org.

as for your question about modules....well first you need to know what modules you need to load for your hardware then it is a simple matter of adding them to the MODULES=() array in /etc/rc.conf. the stock kernel package is very monolithic and contain most (in many case all) of the modules a user may require. but with arch linux you have to know what you need to load as there are no auto configure options available.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-11-16 13:36:59

undeadpenguin
Website

Thank you.

#4 2003-11-17 13:14:08

esel

I'm trying to get my Terratec saa7134-based tv-tuner to work. Is this possible without recompiling the kernel?

I noticed that saa7134.o is not in /lib/modules/..., just saa7110.o, saa7111, etc. I know about the source at www.bytesex.org, and I know "precompiled" is not a word that most of you are familiar with, but if anybody has a tip on how to get hold of saa7134.o for x86, I'd be very happy smile

Tried to compile the bytesex-thing, but soon discovered the amputated kernel source in /usr/src. So I guess I'll have to try the vanilla-kernel-thing (allthough I have no idea what a vanilla kernel is).

Board footer