You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-22 22:15:20

jadesayade

getting the right nvidia drivers?/gnome3 problems (which are realated)

I am having trouble getting the correct drivers for my graphics card, and problems with gnome3. before I wright anymore I would like to say that I have seen and heard about "the arch way" and that moderators can be unnecessarily rude sometimes, I hope that these things aren't true and that you are a nice group of people. (Which is what I have seen so-far smile

I have a dell optiplex gx620 with a ******* graphics card

I went through the beginners guide on the arch wiki it told me to install several different drivers, I installed this driver:  xf86-video-nouveau (along with gnome3)

I changed my .xinitrc and typed in startx

gnome3 put me into failsafe mode

I tried the nouveau-dri drivers

when I had rebooted and ran startx it gave me the error that it had crashed so I went back into text mode the text on the screen said something about eth0 not being connected, so I ran dhcpdc etho0 and then tried startx again, and it didn't fail.

why would being connected to the internet have anything to do with gnome3 working or not? (I realize that this is a gnome problem, but if anybody could help then it would be great)

it was still in fallback mode.

my question is, how do I get gnome3 to work?

thank you in advance

-Jared

#2 2011-07-23 00:08:20

Wey

Re: getting the right nvidia drivers?/gnome3 problems (which are realated)

Hello jadesayade and welcome to arch,
you could run something like startx 2&> logfile, then pastebin the logfile here.

#3 2011-07-23 00:20:54

Gusar

Which graphic card exactly do you have? It's possible there's no support for it in nouveau yet, or that you'll need to extract microcode from the proprietary nvidia driver. Or just switch to the proprietary driver and uninstall nouveau.

#4 2011-07-23 03:06:47

Griemak

According to this link:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/pr … 620_en.pdf

You have either an Intel integrated graphics solution or ATI.  Neither should have Nouveau.  It is very, very likely you have a dedicated GPU card.  But, to help, the model and make of the graphics solution will really be needed.

There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Board footer