You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-18 16:00:24

usuario1986

Gtk3 apps in XFCE

Hi guys, I recently updated Arch and I got the new gtk3 stuff. All would be fine except for the fact that now, my gtk2 apps use a theme and the gtk3 ones use another (ugly) one. I searched the forum and I basically found that I should wait for gtk3 and gtk2 to become armonic or gtk2 apps use the gtk3 libraries. So, I post the workaround I used, hoping saomebody could find it handy. Now I have gtk3 apps using the Adwaita theme and gtk2 using the theme I normally use. The difference with the solutions posted in the forums is that I use Adwaita and the gtk2 theme I wnat to use, and not the Clearlooks that you get when using Adwaita.

All you have to do is install "gnome-themes-standard" to have the Adwaita theme.
Then, being root, go to:
/usr/share/themes
And copy the Adwaita folder to some place you like, so you have a backup, just in case.
Then, enter the Adwaita folder and remove the gtk2.0 folder you'll find in.
Go back to:
/usr/share/themes
And enter the folder of the theme you like to use (or to the folder you have in ~/.themes) and copy the folder gtk2.0, then paste it in the Adwaita folder.
And that's it. Now when you restart your machine (well, i restarted it for other reasons, so maybe you just have to restart the session), gtk2 will look with the theme you like and gtk3 with the default Adwaita, and not looking like some windows 95 crap.
Hope it helps.
Good bye.

#2 2011-05-27 23:15:40

Radioactiveman

Re: Gtk3 apps in XFCE

Copying the folder

"/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0" 

to

~/.config/

seems to be a "cleaner" solution and works fine too.

#3 2011-07-11 17:13:16

Shark

Radioactiveman wrote:

Copying the folder

to

~/.config/

That works almost fine for me in XFCE. When i enable compiz with gtk-window-decorator borders DO appers but there are no buttons for minimze, maximize and close though i have enabled them in gconf-editor. If i choose metacity in fusion-icon the buttons appear. Any tip how can i get buttons on compiz with gtk-wnidow-decorator?

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#4 2011-07-22 23:48:34

wilberfan

Thanks for figuring this out for me!  It was driving me NUTS!  :-)

Hey, be nice...I'm new at this!

#5 2011-07-23 07:19:31

iTwenty
Website

A handful of good gtk2 themes have already been ported to gtk3. Some that immediately come to mind are:

> Elegant Brit
> Zukitwo
> Atolm
> Hope
> etc.

You can use any of these instead of the default Adwaita. Personal favourite is Zukitwo tongue

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

#6 2011-07-23 07:38:02

powerpleb

iTwenty wrote:

You can use any of these instead of the default Adwaita. Personal favourite is Zukitwo tongue

I tried Zukitwo but the writing in the XFCE panel is white. Against a pale grey background it is almost impossible to read.

#7 2011-07-23 08:40:35

iTwenty
Website

You can manually change the panel background image to something darker from another theme or use a a dark background color for the panel instead of an image. Look inside $HOME/.themes or /usr/share/themes folder and experiment

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

#8 2011-07-23 10:54:09

zasire

if you use clearlooks theme, you can download "newlooks theme" from aur. its a gtk3 remake of clearlooks and the only thing i did was selecting clearlooks in "appearence" first. reloaded xfce and selected "newlooks" after that. now it looks almost identical and i never had any problems.

Last edited by zasire (2011-07-23 10:54:24)

#9 2011-10-03 06:05:20

z0id

powerpleb wrote:
iTwenty wrote:

I tried Zukitwo but the writing in the XFCE panel is white. Against a pale grey background it is almost impossible to read.

Zukitwo works fine in XFCE, but you have to use the provided background for the panel (/usr/share/themes/Zukitwo/panel-background.png or smth). Looks great also.
KIKFu.png

Last edited by z0id (2011-10-03 06:19:40)

/usr/bin/drinking

#10 2011-10-30 08:38:18

richardwdoe

Check out sammy-themes, recently added to AUR for a decent theme that applies consistently to GTK2, GTK3 and XFWM. This has finally got my new XFCE4 installation looking usable.

After setting the theme for GTK2 and XFWM through the XFCE4 Settings Manager, set for GTK3 by putting this in "~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini":

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = SammyDark
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = gnome

... or the theme name of one of the other variants if you aren't after the dark look.

Faenza-Darker works well for the accompanying icon theme.

#11 2011-10-30 09:16:31

electric_indigo

Yesterday, I found a very nice theme on gnome-look. It works well with Xfce except for the weather plug-in (the font is too dark). I added the theme to AUR → https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=53525

#12 2011-10-30 20:18:23

GSF1200S

Shark wrote:
Radioactiveman wrote:

Copying the folder

to

~/.config/

That works almost fine for me in XFCE. When i enable compiz with gtk-window-decorator borders DO appers but there are no buttons for minimze, maximize and close though i have enabled them in gconf-editor. If i choose metacity in fusion-icon the buttons appear. Any tip how can i get buttons on compiz with gtk-wnidow-decorator?

If I remember correctly (youll need to research this a little), there is a bug with compiz 0.8.8 and gtk-window-decorator that causes the buttons not to show up in the titlebar. I had this exact same problem about 4 months ago back when I used XFCE and compiz, and this among other things caused me to switch to the stability of Openbox. I think using the dev version of compiz will fix your problem, but since the dev version is a complete rewrite, you may have stability problems in other ways.

#13 2011-11-11 14:49:23

bboozzoo

z0id wrote:
powerpleb wrote:
iTwenty wrote:

Zukitwo works fine in XFCE, but you have to use the provided background for the panel (/usr/share/themes/Zukitwo/panel-background.png or smth). Looks great also.
http://i.imgur.com/KIKFu.png

Don't you have any problems with non transparent icon backgrounds? Once I set panel background to the png from Zukitwo's package, the nm-applet and xfce-power-manager icons have a default greyish background.

#14 2011-11-11 17:20:00

z0id

bboozzoo wrote:
z0id wrote:
powerpleb wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/KIKFu.png

Don't you have any problems with non transparent icon backgrounds? Once I set panel background to the png from Zukitwo's package, the nm-applet and xfce-power-manager icons have a default greyish background.

You probably don't have any compositor active.

/usr/bin/drinking

#15 2011-11-11 19:37:52

Shark

GSF1200S wrote:
Shark wrote:
Radioactiveman wrote:

Copying the folder

to

~/.config/

If I remember correctly (youll need to research this a little), there is a bug with compiz 0.8.8 and gtk-window-decorator that causes the buttons not to show up in the titlebar. I had this exact same problem about 4 months ago back when I used XFCE and compiz, and this among other things caused me to switch to the stability of Openbox. I think using the dev version of compiz will fix your problem, but since the dev version is a complete rewrite, you may have stability problems in other ways.

You are right. Now i use compiz-core-git and the problem disappears. Thanks.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#16 2011-11-12 12:12:53

android_808

I've just uploaded a new xfwm4 theme some of you might be interested in.

Description from upstream:
Just a simple adaptation of the Shiki-Colors Xfwm theme, originally created to go with the Zukitwo Dark Menu GTK theme

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/S … ent=146478
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=53940

#17 2012-04-17 21:07:46

aryan

richardwdoe wrote:

Check out sammy-themes, recently added to AUR for a decent theme that applies consistently to GTK2, GTK3 and XFWM. This has finally got my new XFCE4 installation looking usable.

After setting the theme for GTK2 and XFWM through the XFCE4 Settings Manager, set for GTK3 by putting this in "~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini":

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = SammyDark
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = gnome

... or the theme name of one of the other variants if you aren't after the dark look.

Faenza-Darker works well for the accompanying icon theme.

Very nice theme. But how to fix checkboxes issue?

Checkboxes issue

#18 2013-06-10 03:57:27

digitsm

Radioactiveman wrote:

Copying the folder

to

~/.config/

That worked for me like a charm, though I use Debian and Mint-X theme instead of Adwaita.
Also I don't use Arch currently but I usually get answer of my questions in Arch forum.
TNX

Last edited by digitsm (2013-06-10 03:58:19)

#19 2013-06-10 07:09:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer