You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-25 23:23:47

Farsk1

Script for downloading mms-files trough FireFox and mimms

I'm trying to make a script for downloading mms-streams. First some background info:

The MediaPlayerConnectivity Addon for FireFox allows you to specify a program for downloading files on other protocols than the ones that FF itself can handle.

Since I'm downloading mms-streams, I will be using mimms (installed from the AUR). Now, if I specify the direct path to mimms (/usr/bin/mimms) it all goes well and it starts to download. The problem is that I don't know the progress nor what directory it's downloading to, since it ain't running in it's own visable terminal.

I know that MediaPlayerConnectivity executes this command when it starts the downloader:

/usr/bin/mimms %f

"%f" is the complete URL of the stream/file. The "%f" can be changed to anything you want, but it will not allow you to enter any static value infront of the URL.

What I want to do is to have it open it's own instance of lxterminal and run the mimms command inside the terminal.

Since lxterminal has the ability to open commands inside itself when you launch a new instance, I've tried changing the downloader path to:

/usr/bin/lxterminal --command mimms

This did somehow not work.

So my goal is to make a shell script which is able to take the URL from the executing-command and open a new instance of lxterminal and start the mimms download inside this terminal.

#2 2011-07-26 01:19:49

karol
Archivist

Re: Script for downloading mms-files trough FireFox and mimms

Maybe you can create a script

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/lxterminal --command /usr/bin/mimms $1

and tell MediaPlayerConnectivity to use the script as the downloader.

Board footer