You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-30 07:50:21

alphaniner

Arch Setup: mkinitcpio error handling

I just did an install and accidentally put lvm - rather than lvm2 - in the HOOKS array.  Not surprisingly, this caused the mkinitcpio process at the end of Configure System to fail.  However, I didn't see the mkinitcpio 'window' at all; there was just a brief flash of text at the bottom of the screen that didn't last long enough to read.  I would have had no idea that it had failed if I wasn't so familiar with the install process.  Furthermore, there wasn't anything on tty7 or the live logs either (I didn't think to check the installed system's logs), so had no idea why it failed.  I had to chroot into the install and run mkinitcpio there to find out.

So, this is just a suggestion that there should be some kind of error handling for mkinitcpio in the installer.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#2 2011-07-30 07:56:01

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch Setup: mkinitcpio error handling

Good idea - but you should post it in the bug tracker, under the Release Engineering project.

#3 2011-07-30 08:43:45

alphaniner

Re: Arch Setup: mkinitcpio error handling

Done: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25322

I have never posted a bug report before, so if you have any criticism or suggestions please let me know.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer