You are not logged in.

#76 2005-06-29 14:59:22

arooaroo
Website

Re: Jacman 0.1 - Java GUI front-end to pacman

sudman1 wrote:

Actually, the Run class puts both outputs into real-time streams.  In my basic implementation, I only read the stdout in realtime, then read the stderr afterward. I never tried reading both at the same time, fearing that waiting for stderr would keep the stdout from updating in the same thread. A seperate thread for reading/printing stderr should output in real-time.

That's sort of what I said! ("stderr is outputted after stdout"). I think it'll work ok if both streams are read.

#77 2005-06-29 15:45:44

sudman1

Sorry if I sound a little defensive. This is the first bit of code I've contributed to any project.  I guess I just feel a little possessive and excited about it's use...  :oops:

v/r
Suds

#78 2005-06-29 16:28:26

arooaroo
Website

sudman1 wrote:

Sorry if I sound a little defensive. This is the first bit of code I've contributed to any project.  I guess I just feel a little possessive and excited about it's use...  :oops:

I didn't think you were being defensive. You said what I said but in a little more detail! I suppose it was me being defensive as I wanted to clarify that you and I were talking about the same thing. smile

You'll notice in Help/About... that you are acknowledged for contributing. I don't know your proper name, so you've only got your alias in there for now. PM me if you want me to change it.

#79 2005-06-30 21:22:58

jftaylor21

pacman doesn't really deal with package categories, only repositories.

Abs keeps track of categories, maybe you could parse that.

#80 2005-06-30 21:36:36

arooaroo
Website

jftaylor21 wrote:

Abs keeps track of categories, maybe you could parse that.

That's an interesting point. But it's not very practical, as it would rely on the local abs tree being kept in sync. This could obviously take a while.

It's probably the best option available. It could be done where if the abs tree exists, then Jacman will try and get the info from it, otherwise, it'll leave the category field blank.

Who knows, it's not my immediate priority. I've applied for Jacman to have its own project on SourceForge. Once the source is in the CVS, people can play around whilst keeping upto date the current developments. Perhaps someothers can experiment with implementing category lookups.

#81 2005-07-05 21:07:51

arooaroo
Website

I've got the Jacman project hosted at Berlios.de. I finally have a CVS server to play with. The only problem is that my only exposure to CVS is anon checkouts. I wish to import my src into the CVS server. The Berlios docs are brief and say to use the following command:

cvs -dloginname@cvs.berlios.de:/cvsroot/yourproject import modulename vendor start

I'm not quite sure what I should use best for the module name and vendor.  The docs say "modulename is the name of the new CVS root level directory", so should I put "jacman" here? As for vendor - I have no idea. I read somewhere that this is the same as the release tag. So should I assign it a version number, like 0.1?

Sorry for being dumb!

#82 2005-07-05 21:25:07

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Doesn't berlios hav subversion support? That's cooler than CVS, really.

There should be more specific instructions for using CVS. I remember using the import command, check google. I think vendor can be anything you like, and modulename should probably be 'jacman'.

Dusty

#83 2005-07-05 21:28:47

arooaroo
Website

Dusty wrote:

Doesn't berlios hav subversion support? That's cooler than CVS, really.

Yeah, so I hear, but I want to integrate with Eclipse, which only has CVS support.

Dusty wrote:

There should be more specific instructions for using CVS. I remember using the import command, check google. I think vendor can be anything you like, and modulename should probably be 'jacman'.

Dusty

I've been checking Google already. (I promise, I always search for solutions before writing here) I haven't found anything in layman's terms yet. Thanks for the pointers though.

#84 2005-07-05 21:57:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Theres a plugin for SVN for eclipse, http://subclipse.tigris.org/

#85 2005-07-05 22:04:32

arooaroo
Website

iphitus wrote:

Theres a plugin for SVN for eclipse, http://subclipse.tigris.org/

I expected that there would be such a plugin somewhere. I shall stick it out with CVS for now. Installing that plugin sounds like more effort than I care to part with at the moment.

Thanks for pointing it out though, I may try and install it at a later date.

#86 2005-07-05 22:07:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

This is the book to use for CVS.

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

But having been a long-time CVS user and mid-time SVN user, I strongly recommend going to the trouble of figuring out SVN.

You might also be ready to outgrow Eclipse too. :-)

Dusty

#87 2005-07-05 22:17:19

arooaroo
Website

Dusty wrote:

This is the book to use for CVS.

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

I found this shortly after posting. I have had a glance through the introduction. I need to study it a little more though.

Dusty wrote:

But having been a long-time CVS user and mid-time SVN user, I strongly recommend going to the trouble of figuring out SVN.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard nothing but praise for SVN. It's just that for now, CVS will do. I've only a small project. Sonix is the only other contributor and it was he who was pushing for a CVS server. I just went along.

Dusty wrote:

You might also be ready to outgrow Eclipse too. :-)

I used to write everything in Vim. I still use it a lot, but not for non-trivial Java apps anymore. I've been converted to IDEs like Eclipse as it really has helped me to become more productive. Was sceptical at first, but that's just my personal experience.

#88 2005-07-05 22:49:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

arooaroo wrote:

I used to write everything in Vim. I still use it a lot, but not for non-trivial Java apps anymore. I've been converted to IDEs like Eclipse as it really has helped me to become more productive. Was sceptical at first, but that's just my personal experience.

I'm going to guess that the thing vim lacks is "intellisense"/"code complete"/whatever you wanna call it...

here's a list of features, by popularity vote, for vim7:
http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

there is already a few c/c++ systems to do this (cguess, icomplete) and this one works for java (I think):
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1213

#89 2005-07-05 23:08:24

arooaroo
Website

phrakture wrote:
arooaroo wrote:

I'm going to guess that the thing vim lacks is "intellisense"/"code complete"/whatever you wanna call it...

Not so much. It's handy at times I suppose. Refactoring facilities are extremely useful. Quick fix is good. Templates are good. Easy integration of JUnit. Easy Integration of CVS. Integration of JavaDoc. The debugger is pretty decent. And the visual editor is OK for when you can't be bothered to hand code a GridBagLayout. I like how it can give me all sorts of warning, like if variables or imports are never actually used, for example. I like it how it can generate getters and setters, and generally, point out syntax errors on the fly. Etc. I can't think of all the reasons why I like it.

Horses for courses though.

#90 2005-07-06 02:40:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

arooaroo wrote:
phrakture wrote:
arooaroo wrote:

Not so much. It's handy at times I suppose. Refactoring facilities are extremely useful. Quick fix is good. Templates are good. Easy integration of JUnit. Easy Integration of CVS. Integration of JavaDoc. The debugger is pretty decent. And the visual editor is OK for when you can't be bothered to hand code a GridBagLayout. I like how it can give me all sorts of warning, like if variables or imports are never actually used, for example. I like it how it can generate getters and setters, and generally, point out syntax errors on the fly. Etc. I can't think of all the reasons why I like it.

Horses for courses though.

Just for those python programmers, there's a vim plugin called Pida, it's gtk and does all this, CVS, SVN, Darcs, Project manager, Refactoring, Debugger, it's impressive and the features are growing fast.

http://pida.berlios.de

#91 2005-07-06 03:54:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

FreeRIDE is a good ruby ide. Written in ruby.
http://freeride.rubyforge.org

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#92 2005-07-06 14:43:58

arooaroo
Website

Finally got a CVS server for Jacman courtesy of Berlios.de (cheers guys!) SoniX was in like a shot when I originally release the Jacman source and has made some great improvements. Now we can have a centralised place for improving the code. http://developer.berlios.de/projects/jacman/ will give you all the info about Jacman, including how to access the CVS server, and so you can grab the current dev branch whenever you wish. If you want write access, you'll need to get in touch.

Of course, I'm a complete novice with CVS, so you lot just better hope I don't fsck it up!

v0.2 will be out soon with SoniX's improved console and package rollback functionality. smile

#93 2005-07-12 14:37:13

MillTek

IS there a 'latest' release of jacman? I tried out the version linked at the start of this thread and it looks very nice.

J

#94 2005-07-12 14:40:24

arooaroo
Website

Well, the CVS server is available, details are on the post above. Not that there's much to see in the current dev branch though. 0.1 is the latest. I'd say wait a week and 0.2 will be out.

Board footer