You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-31 00:46:50

Pajaro

MODULES ignored after update

Hi,

After the last update my MODULES array in rc.conf is ignored. Nothing changed by myself. I just removed kde (because of file conflicts), reinstalled it again and ran pacman -Syu.

Also, I can't see if there is any error during boot. Lines go up too fast. I also disabled clearing of boot messages, but the buffer is too short to get to th interesting part (just a few lines actually).

In this last pacman update initscripts got updated, but I synced my rc.conf to rc.conf.pacnew and the problem persists (actually, it is a 3 weeks installation, minor changes there).

By now, I "patched" my system by loading the modules array in rc.local and restarting the network from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2011-07-31 00:54:00

karol
Archivist

Re: MODULES ignored after update

What modules do you need exactly?
It might be https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25308
Check your /etc/modprobe.d - you might be surprised :-)

Last edited by karol (2011-07-31 01:25:12)

#3 2011-07-31 07:38:31

Pajaro

I think that's the problem.

Two files appeared in /etc/modprobe.d that no package owns:
- /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_net.conf
- /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_sound.conf

And the content is just blacklisting my network and sound drivers... weird:

blacklist_net.conf:

blacklist mii                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
blacklist r8169

blacklist_audio.conf:

blacklist pcspkr                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
blacklist ac97_bus                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
blacklist snd-seq-device                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
blacklist snd-hwdep                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
blacklist snd-page-alloc                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
blacklist snd-pcm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
blacklist snd-rawmidi                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
blacklist snd-timer                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
blacklist snd                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
blacklist snd-mpu401-uart                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
blacklist snd-ak4xxx-adda                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
blacklist snd-cs8427                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
blacklist snd-i2c                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
blacklist snd-ac97-codec                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
blacklist snd-hda-codec
blacklist snd-hda-intel
blacklist snd-ice1712
blacklist snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx
blacklist soundcore

So basically, almost all my modules array got blacklisted automatically.

Thank you,

#4 2011-08-01 07:04:17

Pajaro

Extracts from the bug report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25308

@Everyone: a workaround until we have sorted this out is to remove your *_blacklist.conf files.

Make sure you just remove unhandled files. This command will help you:

pacman -Qo /etc/modprobe.d/*

2. To resolve network device preference issues:

Create a file like /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules with this content:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTRS{address}=="00:aa:bb:cc:dd:01", NAME="lan0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTRS{address}=="00:aa:bb:cc:dd:02", NAME="lan1"

in some weird cases (...) you'll have to add more details to the udev rules to distinguish them

For audio devices you may use this entry for modprobe.conf:

options snd slots=snd_virtuoso,snd_hda_intel

Board footer