You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-01 09:20:07

turab

[SOLVED] Link home directory to NTFS partition

I have a NTFS partition that I want both Windows and Arch to use, i.e. both should be able to read and write to it. I'd also like my home directory to link to it, so writing to /home/turab/Downloads would write to the partition's Downloads directory, for example. I tried mounting the partition to my home directory, but arch/gnome didn't seem to like it. I can't remember the error message exactly... something about ICEauthority. Anyway, is what I'm trying to do possible? If it is, is there any way to tell arch/gnome to hide Windows hidden/system files too?

Edit: After booting with runlevel 3 and logging in, I found out that mounting to my home directory gave ownership to root, so my home directory wasn't actually my home directory any more. Because of this, I edited /etc/rc.local so that I could execute chown to change ownership during startup. After that, I didn't have that problem, but I still couldn't write to my home directory (root couldn't either), which is what caused the "ICEauthority" error. I tried editing the fstab entry to the following:

/dev/sda5 /home/turab ntfs user,umask=0,rw 0 0

It didn't work. Maybe I need a certain program to be able to write to NTFS partitions?

Last edited by turab (2018-09-30 15:41:42)

#2 2011-08-01 11:09:25

guelfi

Re: [SOLVED] Link home directory to NTFS partition

If you install ntfs-3g from the extra repository, you should be able to mount NTFS partitions as root. IIRC, partitions mounted this way will be owned by root, but have full access for everyone (777).

I think there also is a package in the AUR which allows you to mount NTFS as a non-root user.

EDIT: Yup, there is. If you have aur/ntfs-3g-fuse installed, you should be able to mount NTFS partitions as a normal user. I just tested it; works fine for me.

Besides, I would not mount a NTFS partition directly to your /home directory, but rather to a dedicated directory in your /home folder, like /home/user/ntfs-stuff/.

Last edited by guelfi (2011-08-01 11:15:46)

#3 2011-08-01 11:16:43

turab

guelfi wrote:

If you install ntfs-3g from the extra repository, you should be able to mount NTFS partitions as root. IIRC, partitions mounted this way will be owned by root, but have full access for everyone (777).

I think there also is a package in the AUR which allows you to mount NTFS as a non-root user.

EDIT: Yup, there is. If you have aur/ntfs-3g-fuse installed, you should be able to mount NTFS partitions as a normal user. I just tested it; works fine for me.

I have no problem with mounting as such. What I meant was I can't write to the partition. If with ntfs-3g I can, then I'll try it out. Thanks!

Edit: I've just tried it out and it works! Cheers smile. Mounting it to the home directory had issues (user settings being discarded), so I took your advice and mounted it somewhere else. Now I just want to know how to hide Windows hidden/system files.

Last edited by turab (2011-08-01 11:39:59)

#4 2011-08-01 11:18:02

turab

guelfi wrote:

Besides, I would not mount a NTFS partition directly to your /home directory, but rather to a dedicated directory in your /home folder, like /home/user/ntfs-stuff/.

Thanks for the advice. I may do that.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I meant to edit my post but quoted instead hmm.

Last edited by turab (2011-08-01 11:19:47)

Board footer