You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-01 14:14:57

Mithlond

[SOLVED] USB mouse does not work if l. is on battery power during boot

Hi,

I am using a laptop and a USB mouse. If the laptop is on AC power during the boot process, everything is working fine. If it is on battery power during boot however, the mouse will not work even if I connect it to AC power later and/or replug the mouse. The only way to make it work again is to reboot (on AC power).

Through a series of tests I have determined that the crucial point in the boot process is right after the daemons are loaded, before the console login prompt is shown. (If the laptop is on AC power during the complete boot process except at this point of time, the mouse won't work. If it's on battery all the time except for this second, it will work.)

The wiki says that this is when rc.local is executed, but that file is empty, as is functions.d. The startup scripts are unmodified and all packages are up to date.

rc.conf wrote:

DAEMONS=(autofglrx syslog-ng dbus netfs cpufreq smbnetfs networkmanager @tor @laptop-mode @alsa @crond !mysqld !mythbackend)

Any suggestions? Any further information needed?

Last edited by Mithlond (2011-08-03 14:12:17)

#2 2011-08-03 10:32:31

dobedo

Re: [SOLVED] USB mouse does not work if l. is on battery power during boot

Maybe a stupid question, but what settings do you have in laptop-mode tools for USB ? Hope it doesn't disable USB when on battery.

#3 2011-08-03 12:32:13

Mithlond

Re: [SOLVED] USB mouse does not work if l. is on battery power during boot

I can't believe I missed this.

LMT doesn't exactly disable USB but it has a module usb-autosuspend that is supposed to suspend unused devices. Turns out this doesn't work well with my mouse (Logitech MX518).

/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf wrote:

# NOTE: Some USB devices claim they support autosuspend, but implement it in a
# broken way. This can mean keyboards losing keypresses, or optical mice turning
# their LED completely off. If you have a device that misbehaves, add its USB ID
# to the blacklist below and complain to your hardware vendor.

Adding the mouse to the blacklist solved the problem.

Well, thank you very much for your help.

Board footer