You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-29 23:36:53

Lavayo

Compiz 0.9.5 starting crash

Hi
Since there was a new big compiz release (0.9.5) some time ago, I would like to give it a try.  Did use it quite excessively once, but back when compiz fusion was still in development.
I installed the packages frum rufflove ( http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=rufflove&SeB=m ). This worked quite well, but when I start it this message appears:

> http://nopaste.info/42ba173095.html <

This is the intereting part I think:
Initializing switcher options...done
process 16438: arguments to dbus_message_iter_append_basic() were incorrect, assertion "*bool_p == 0 || *bool_p == 1"
failed in file dbus-message.c line 2541.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.                                                             
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace                                                                 
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/compiz...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

I know its still quite unstable, but if someone has an idea how to fix this I would be very interested. Google did not find any thread with the same problem...

Thanks!, Lavayo

Last edited by Lavayo (2011-07-29 23:38:30)

#2 2011-07-30 01:29:49

rufflove

Re: Compiz 0.9.5 starting crash

iirc, this happens when DBus and fade windows are enabled at the same time. Do you actually use the DBus plugin? Unless you have a specific reason for enabling it, e.g. DockbarX integration, just leave it disabled.

In some ways, 0.9.5 is only as unstable as you make it wink

Last edited by rufflove (2011-07-30 01:30:59)

"Its too big and too slow"

#3 2011-07-30 08:00:29

Lavayo

Ah, thanks that did help.
Compiz starts, but I still don't see any windows borders. Actually I would like to use kde4-windows-decorations, but there is no executable? Shouldn't that be part of compiz-core-dev?
Apart from that I doubt it will work, because it requires dbus plugin. At least thats what the wiki says.
Emerald is an alternative of course but is obsolete (?).
"emerald --replace" produces a segmentation fault.

Edit:
I just moved the kde4-windows-decorator executable from an other installation to /usr/bin/. Somehow dirty, but it works nevertheless.

Its quite fast and no crash so far... BUT there are some serious refreshing problems with KDE. (I'm using KDE 4 from extra).
I can't draw any rectangles on the desktop, no new windows appear in the kde task-bar.
Applications work great.

Activated all those "workaround" and "kde-compatibility" plugins, no success.

(I use a HD5850 + catalyst 11.7)

Last edited by Lavayo (2011-07-30 09:37:33)

#4 2011-07-30 13:19:54

rufflove

Emerald is likely to remain broken due to recent changes, but it will work with 0.9.4, however. kconfig backend support has also been dropped for now because the developer responsible has left the compiz team. Again, using 0.9.4 is a way around this.

I've so far had this package group running with gnome and xfce using gtk-window-decorator, but have not tried kde. As far as I know, kde-window-decorator should still be built. If you don't have the required deps, the compiz buildsystem will state that it will not be built. Finding out whether you're missing compile time dependencies is the first port of call... Let me know smile

#5 2011-07-30 14:42:36

rufflove

I think I've found your initial problem - you need to install the automoc4 package. Exactly which kde packages are required to build the decorator I'm not sure, but I'll add kdebase and automoc4 to the optdepends for compiz-core-dev.

Glad I did it in a virtual machine though, the whole experience was like watching my lappy gorge itself on half the packages in the official repos and then regurgitate them in slow motion as a foaming mass of jelly confections... Urgh. And that was only kdebase... Maybe I'll really try KDE one day... lol

#6 2011-07-31 10:09:40

Lavayo

Thanks!
I rebuild compiz-core-dev with automoc4 / kdebase installed. kde4-window-decorator executable was build. smile

Now only those refresh problems left. Looked up in the wiki: http://wiki.compiz.org/Troubleshooting# … 27t_Update
This does not help... Actually the windows are refreshing, only the kde elements (taskbar...) get stuck.

Last edited by Lavayo (2011-07-31 10:11:22)

#7 2011-07-31 12:31:37

rufflove

Are you starting Compiz with options suitable for your graphics adapter/driver setup?

Edit:

Just briefly tested kde 4.7 and compiz 0.9.5.0 on my htpc setup with a geforce 210 and proprietory drivers. With only the default plugins and the kde compat plugin enabled, the taskbar is refreshing and compiz is noticably faster than kwin (compiz 0.9.x flies with newer geforce 2xx hardware). However, the kickoff applet doesn't refresh properly (a known issue) and enabling the kde/qt event loop plugin results in a segfault (probably due to changes in 4.7). My desktop rig has an ati card but not an arch installation...

Last edited by rufflove (2011-07-31 14:24:37)

#8 2011-07-31 22:37:26

rufflove

Decided to scratch the itch and installed arch, kde, compiz and the current catalyst package on my desktop rig. I can't replicate your problem with the tasbar not refreshing neutral I did however find solution to the kicker applet not refreshing; disable 'sliding popups' under 'kde compatibility plugin' >  'popup slide effect'.

Other than that I found no glaring problems, other than the aforementioned problem with kde/event loop plugin (glibmm related, I think). I then simply set compiz as the default wm in 'default applications' and kde handled the rest (it adds the ccp and --sm-client-id parameters... nice). If you want to try the quick configuration I created, you can grab it here:

Sample Compiz configuration for KDE

Let me now if your problem persists when using that config.

#9 2011-08-03 09:51:15

Lavayo

WOW thanks. Setting up a new system for supporting! Best support ever!
I'm starting compiz with: "compiz --replace --indirect-rendering ccp", the compiz-check scrips says I use AIGLX.

I tried your configuration, but it did not change anything. A temporary problem occured (althogh I doubt its because the config, because it persisted after changing it back): the task bar disappeared completly. Although it was there - the rectangle you create for selecting files on the desktop could not affect the area where the task bar would have been. http://imageshack.us/f/818/nobar.jpg/
This problem could be "fixed"? by starting compiz via compiz-kde-launcher script as default WM. Now the task bar is visible. Additionaly I did not encounter any refreshing problems yet.

The only left problem is the desktop itself. Since the taks-bar works again, I can't see or select any files on the desktop. This strange scrolling bar at the right appeared. It scrolled all the way up, still no files appear. http://imageshack.us/f/854/seerightbar.jpg/

Edit: The KDE-desktop settings did not change of course.
I fixed it by doing <whatever>, its some really odd problem. Disappears if I start compiz-kde-launcher in a konsole while compiz is started and close the console again. Everything reloads, desktop appears.
New login, same problem. But I refuse do write a "fixed" compiz-kde-launcher like "compiz --replace --indirect-rendering ccp && sleep 10 && compiz --replace --indirect-rendering ccp". Thats just bullshit. -.-

Last edited by Lavayo (2011-08-03 10:04:22)

#10 2011-08-04 00:34:57

rufflove

Lavayo wrote:

WOW thanks. Setting up a new system for supporting! Best support ever!

Its about time I put a linux distro on my desktop rig, this was as good an excuse as any. wink

I'm starting compiz with: "compiz --replace --indirect-rendering ccp", the compiz-check scrips says I use AIGLX.

I'm running a 4850 with the latest catalyst suite and direct rendering works fine, so I'd recommend you try it. You can ignore the info in the wiki; just select compiz as the default window manager in system settings > default applications. Don't bother with the wrapper option, unless you encounter problems.

Edit: The KDE-desktop settings did not change of course.
I fixed it by doing <whatever>, its some really odd problem. Disappears if I start compiz-kde-launcher in a konsole while compiz is started and close the console again. Everything reloads, desktop appears.
New login, same problem. But I refuse do write a "fixed" compiz-kde-launcher like "compiz --replace --indirect-rendering ccp && sleep 10 && compiz --replace --indirect-rendering ccp". Thats just bullshit. -.-

I suspect that some application or other is being saving on session close and not restored correctly. Once, when I left gnome-terminal open between sessions, it didn't restore correctly and all that appeared where the window decorations and an empty window. Maybe disable saving state for the desktop session, log out and in, then re-enable it. I dunno where this option is in KDE's system settings interface, but it will be there somewhere.

Board footer