You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-04 18:18:38

zryder

No networking after reboot from install

Forgive me, but I am at my work windoze machine, and can not post code or screenshots.

However, I hope I will be able to make my issue understood, and you geniouses will likely tell me to do something and the whole world will be grand.

Ok, so here is the situation. I am running an intel i7-930, on a gigabye X58-UD3R motherboard. I have a hardwired LAN connection from the onboard NIC to a switch, and on to the router.

I had previously downloaded the arch boot from June, and have done several installs with this disk without issue. I have also re-installed arch several times on this machine, so I know a little bit with what to do and not to do.

In the last week, I went to install as normal, getting packages from the net. Typically i use the mirror at rit.edu, which I belive to be up to date. The networking worked fine, detected my nic, and downloaded packages. I made sure my sysem's name in rc.conf and hosts matched, and rebooted the machine. After reboot, the system could not find my NIC. I did IP ADDR, and it returned information only for loopback.

After redoing the install several times, I decided to install from the disk. After rebooting, I had network!. So I did a Pacman -Syy and Syu, the system downloaded 160mb worth of patches, and after reboot, I was back to square one.

Anyone have any ideas what I should check for, or possible solutions?

I can get an ls pci when I get home, or any other information for you.

thanks.

#2 2011-08-04 18:29:07

alphaniner

Re: No networking after reboot from install

It sounds like you're being affected by a bug that's been the cause for numerous posts, like this one here.

I think the skinny is you need to check the blacklist files in your /etc/modprobe.d/ folder.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2011-08-04 18:31:29

zryder

Thanks. I will look at that when I get home, and see what I can find.

What items should be in blacklist on a typical install, so I know what not to delete?

#4 2011-08-04 18:36:16

alphaniner

There will be several files in that folder, but there should be only one blacklist file by default, framebuffer_blacklist.conf.  I think the ones being mysteriously created are blacklist_net.conf and blacklist_sound.conf.

Last edited by alphaniner (2011-08-04 18:39:02)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer