You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-04 06:19:45

nankura

XFCE Addons

hey guys

ok, i was browsing through the xfce look website and found GTK themes, emerald, compiz, etc and im a linux native gamer, im always getting the new games, bleeding edge, graphics etc. so i need high performance

Incase anyone asks my specs are
AMD Phenom 2 955
4GB DDR3 G.Skill
GTX 460 SE 1GB

i have a decent machine and when using mint ( before i switched to archlinux just a phew days ago ) it felt choppy while gaming, and performance was horrid and bloated, i had to install a compiz fusion icon manager and switch between compiz and metacity each time i wanted to play a game to kill the choppy performance

im abit of a new comer to XFCE, ive been using compiz and gnome and fusion icons for gaming etc for a while now on mint. the usual setup, so ive decided after playing with XFCE that i love it, its lightweight and fun

but im curious, as i said, fusion icon with gnome was necessary because compiz would cause alot of choppy performance when gaming natively. and after adding all those programs i use. thing's just got more and more bloated with KDE/gnome

ofcourse things  eventually get bloated with XFCE, but its a much more leight weight option

so what im wondering is whats the best way to get those fancy looks of GTK/emerald etc in XFCE without impacting the super leight weight performance of XFCE, i know u can do XFCE and open box

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.ph...content=134123

or the Orca desktop themes, or emerald+compiz

So yea, just wondering how people have there XFCE setup, and if compiz impacts performance, or which WM/theme manager / desktop manager / panel bars are obtainable without a huge impact on performance/gaming

basically, want to get some nice XFCE eye candy and bar addons/conky etc, without impacting performance and window moving/fading effects, and a nice looking panel

Last edited by nankura (2011-08-04 07:36:32)

#2 2011-08-04 07:27:59

brebs

Re: XFCE Addons

Composite is a PITA with Nvidia - I just compile xorg-server with: --disable-composite

Examples:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=162278
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr … =composite (tearing at top of screen, I saw this in d2x-rebirth game)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr … =composite (An Nvidia guy actually recommends disabling composite, as the solution)

#3 2011-08-04 07:32:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

nankura wrote:

whats the best way to get those fancy looks of GTK/emerald etc in xubuntu

You should ask in the Ubuntu forum. This is the Archlinux forum, for help, advice, discussions, etc relating to Archlinux.

#4 2011-08-04 07:38:48

nankura

my bad on the xubuntu menchone XD, i was trying not to get the post closed lol. i posted on there forums and here because i use both distro's, i use xubuntu as my main for .deb/wine/gaming because some stuff i use often

And arch is on my /dev/sdc second hard disk to play with, reinstall, and learn and break things without loosing my files. i didnt want to go straight to arch until i know it inside out, thats why im asking these questions, so i can learn XFCE, and addons / and archlinux

once im comfortable with arch and the "archway" and i feel i have enough knowledge ill switch it to my main hard drive xD

Last edited by nankura (2011-08-04 07:39:49)

#5 2011-08-04 21:35:45

szim90

As brebs said, if you want the absolute best performance, turn off composting entirely. You might find this page from the wiki about maximizing system performance helpful:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … erformance

If you want some composting, Xfce has its own, built in, composting engine that (I believe) does not require compiz. Just from glancing through the settings, It looks like it doesn't have the features compiz can offer, but I suspect its lighter (but I'm running on VMWare, so I can't test it).

#6 2011-08-05 05:56:02

nankura

yea unfortantly that compositing within the XFCE windows manager doesnt have the feature of using opengl, sync to vblank , and detect refresh rate, so when using XFCE4's WM compositing, i suffer heavy screen tearing, the only way to have effects is compiz for me due to the vblank and opengl features which fix the tearing

Unless theres a WM out there like openbox or something that takes care of that

#7 2011-08-05 08:45:55

Stephanie
Website

Hi ^^

WMs handle the window-decoration/-behavior not the compositing but have you tried other composite managers like Xcompgr already? Maybe they give you a better performance than compiz. smile

The wiki has a list: Compisite

Last edited by Stephanie (2011-08-05 08:46:16)

"2 hours of trial and error can save 10 minutes of manual reading." (unknown)

Board footer