You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-05 19:58:25

algorythm

Prevent writing new characters in the output of the previous command

Hey,

Not sure if you got what I meant from the Subject. I'll try to 'particularise' (looked this up in a dictionary).

In Windows's CMD when you execute a command and then start writing the next one (while still executing the former one) the characters remain in the buffer and they all come up nicely to the new line once the previous command has been executed.

In Arch when I do this the newly typed characters annoyingly get in the beginning of the previous command's output lines. The thing is I'd like it to work as in Windows's CMD.

Funny how otherwise almost _everything_ sucks with CMD when compared to Unix/Linux shells/terminals (commands are longer, syntax is annoying, etc.) but _this_ is where Windows's CMD works better for me.

So I'd like to know how to do this in both Bash and Zsh.

So thanks for your time, and have a nice day!
  (Not that it'd mean anything anymore)

Last edited by algorythm (2011-08-05 19:59:33)

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#2 2011-08-05 20:16:55

steabert

Re: Prevent writing new characters in the output of the previous command

I'm not completely understanding what you mean, but why would you enter a new command while one is running?
If you already know what you want to type, you can just queue the commands in a list.

Board footer