You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-05 09:11:37

orion

My "weird" Hard Drive Combination and Arch

I was on arch for several years with this config, but i didn't remember how i managed to get arch running on this setup back then.

Here is the deal:

First Hard Drive: 200 GB IDE (sda)
Second Hard Drive: 160 GB IDE (sdb)
Third Hard Drive: 500 GB SATA (sdc) (this is the harddrive which my bios boots first)

sda:

I want arch and all partitions it uses to run here.

sdb:

Currently a NTFS drive, supposed for windows programs and as "shared storage" in my dual boot configuration.

sdc:

Holds Windows 7 on an 80 GB Partition, and one big 420 GB Partition for Games and stuff.

I have a USB HDD too, but i think we shouldn't include this in this issue description. (it's not plugged in during installation and first boot anyway)

I tried to install Arch on SDA, prepared the hard drive with 6 GB Swap (my RAM is 3 GB), 1 GB Boot (way too much, i know) and the rest ext4 linux partition for arch.

The installation goes well, until, well until it comes to grub installation. Grub is installed sucessfully, but when i install grub in the mbr of sdc, grub calls "error 17". The partition order is okay, and i don't know why this doesnt work. My windows is configured in menu.lst to boot from hd(2,0), arch is listed to boot from hd 0,0

Funny thing is: even windows installation isn't able to fix the partition table if i fuck up. hmm

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by orion (2011-08-05 09:12:30)

#2 2011-08-05 10:54:33

Kema01

Re: My "weird" Hard Drive Combination and Arch

I tried google for this error and found a swedish thread about it and he's solution was to change SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS, now im not sure that will fix it just a thought.

Last edited by Kema01 (2011-08-05 10:55:06)

#3 2011-08-05 12:08:54

orion

I fixed it myself wink Here is how:

I installed arch on sda1 (do everything by uuid) and grub in the mbr of sda1, then i switched the bios boot order to the hard drive i installed arch on. et voila: windows boots, arch boots. Everything is okay smile

#4 2011-08-05 20:20:50

Dumbledore

Hehe. I was thinking of suggesting the same thing when I found you fixed it. Also, keeping with the forum etiquette, please mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thanks.

GNU/Linux: Keep your options "open".

Board footer