You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-05 20:10:36

thewebdoctor
Website

Installing on Old PC: Starts But Then Can't Find .SFS File

I have an old PC with an AMD Athlon CPU and 448 MB RAM that has Win 2000 on it. I downloaded Arch yesterday (md5sum OK) and tried to install it. It started up OK, but then ended with this on the screen:

large image removed and linked (OP: put link to thumbnail between the url tags)

I tried several other distros, and they all died similarly, looking for some file after having a number of them.

I don't think it's a CD-burning problem, because I do a lot of .iso's on my main machine. Could it be the result of burning the .iso on one machine and reading it on another?

Lane

Moderator[ewaller] edited to redact large photo.

Last edited by thewebdoctor (2011-08-05 20:20:51)

#2 2011-08-05 20:13:50

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Installing on Old PC: Starts But Then Can't Find .SFS File

You might wanna read the rules about posting large images or your image is likely to get closed.  As to your error, I would suggest you try a newer boot disc.  2010.05 is the official, but there are many updated unofficial ones too.  Also, can you try booting it from a USB rather than a CD?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2011-08-05 20:43:33

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment:
I'm afraid they are correct.  When it comes to x and y size, I don't care.  189 kbytes, however -- nope.

Please set your url up such that it stuff between the tags points to a thumbnail, but make the link point to the image.  in the mean time, I edited your post.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-08-05 20:56:19

shulamy

i think your cd drive can't read the disk,

because one of them is not good.

eather the burning or the drive.

maybe it just need cleaning.

ezik

#5 2011-08-05 20:56:20

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

IO errors are never a good thing. The disc might be faulty... Did you verify checksums before and after burning? Can you install from a USB stick?

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-08-05 20:57:45)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2011-08-06 00:38:46

thewebdoctor
Website

I apologize about the picture size.

These CDs were fresh downloads yesterday, fresh burns, and md5sum checked. The difference was they were being read by a different PC, and I'm now downloading an .iso on the old PC and will burn it there on the drive that will also read it.

Lane

#7 2011-08-06 01:05:54

ewaller
Administrator

thewebdoctor wrote:

I apologize about the picture size.

Don't sweat the small stuff.  It is just that people on low bandwidth and/or capped usage accounts appreciate thumbnails to big pictures. (Have pity on those keeping in touch via 3G wireless)

Sadly, I've nothing to add to the thread topic.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer