You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-30 11:57:30

Riklaunim
Website

USE Flags that have nothing to do with window managers

PKGBUILDS that support something like USE  Flags... so I can make a let say KDE-Something without Arts or Gnome without gstreamer etc. smile

#2 2005-06-30 12:11:26

Cam
Website

Re: USE Flags that have nothing to do with window managers

Riklaunim wrote:

PKGBUILDS that support something like USE  Flags... so I can make a let say KDE-Something without Arts or Gnome without gstreamer etc. smile

Uhh, that's not anything to do with a window manager, that's to do with pacman. And if you want that functionality, go install Gentoo and add this line to your /etc/profile

alias emerge="emerge -k"

smile

#3 2005-06-30 14:55:57

Riklaunim
Website

Cam wrote:

go install Gentoo

I can't, I have one already smile

#4 2005-06-30 15:34:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I split these totally off-topic posts from rasat's wm thread.

Further, I can guarantee that Arch's packaging system will stick with simplicity. Our goal is not to emulate gentoo, but to simplify it.

Dusty

#5 2005-06-30 17:06:27

Riklaunim
Website

I don't want a gentoo in arch bu a simple "makepkg -arts" which would set --witout-arts or something similar in pkbuilds + removed it from the dependencies.

#6 2005-06-30 17:13:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That is simple though: edit the pkgbuild yourself. It'll entail changing two lines of code. Its not a feature many people would use often, at least, not Arch users. (Typical) Arch users prefer precompiled binaries to compiling stuff because it saves time. Compiling happens as a last resort, for example when a package doesn't exist or when a package does or doesn't include a particular dependency you would like to remove (ie: your case). However, on a case-by-case basis, I can't feature this being needed on more than a small percentage of packages, so doing it manually is not at all hard, the PKGBUILDs are kept simple, and packaging is easier.

Having said all that, makepkg is a (very large) bash script; you are free to patch it to suit your needs. I wouldn't expect the developers to include your patch in the official version, but if you do a nice clean implementation and justification of the changes, they may accept it.

Dusty

#7 2005-06-30 17:58:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

srcpac will do the exact same thing - the tools are provided, but no one uses them...

I talked with Xentac about srcpac, and he was hoping people would contribute srcpac lines somewhere for others to use...

in srcpac.conf add something like "#./configure#./configure --without-arts#","#artsd##" for your package and BAM, no more arts...

#8 2005-06-30 19:01:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

wow, I didn't know that. srcpac rocks. That guy is one hell of a good python programmer. ;-)

Dusty

#9 2005-06-30 19:20:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah, it just hold tuples of sed lines for the PKGBUILD... simple concept that turns out to be really powerful

also, if you used "srcpac -b package" and then do "srcpac -Syu" (which passes options to pacman), srcpac will recompile "package" instead of letting pacman update it...RAWK!

#10 2005-07-01 06:30:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah..i even contributed to the manpage for it!
go srcpac!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer