You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-18 17:02:00

TrevorNT

Fingerprint Reader ThinkPad T410

Hi Arch community...

I've been using Arch for about a year and so I more or less know how to fix problems when I run into them.  I think I've found one that's just a little too deep for me though.

My new ThinkPad T410 has had its fair share of little glitches along the way to getting Arch to work at full, but now everything essential works great.  It's just that I'd like to get the integrated fingerprint reader running and it refuses to do so.  >_<

I'm using fprint to try to get it to work.  When I run fprint_demo, it correctly identifies the fingerprint reader as a UPEK TouchStrip and all of the finger-enrolling buttons are enabled in the window.  When I go to click Enroll on any of them though, I get two popup windows: the first gives me instructions on how to enroll the finger in question.  The second says "Enroll failed with error -22."  (Note that there is no delay between the first two and clicking OK on the second makes them both disappear.  Also, the fingerprint reader doesn't activate.)

I've tried Googling it but I didn't get anything relevant.

I'd be really appreciative to get some help with this.

Thanks in advance!

-TrevorNT

#2 2010-09-18 19:46:53

Coacher

Re: Fingerprint Reader ThinkPad T410

http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/ … ce_variant
Yet unsupported, but there is a chance it will be functional soon.

#3 2010-09-18 20:49:25

TrevorNT

Coacher wrote:

http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/ … ce_variant
Yet unsupported, but there is a chance it will be functional soon.

Really?  I don't see any TouchStrip device down that list...

EDIT: the AUR package fingerprint-gui is able to activate the fingerprinter.  The problem is that it can only do so as root (and that doesn't help, considering that I want to be able to log in as me, not root...).

Ideas?

Last edited by TrevorNT (2010-09-18 21:18:55)

#4 2010-09-18 22:25:37

Coacher

That was just my guess taken from google.

#5 2010-09-18 23:43:48

TrevorNT

Apparently Google was looking at an old copy then.  The section of the page it linked to, "UPEK_TouchStrip_device_variant", doesn't exist.

Fingerprint-gui is able to pick up the device though, and use it.  The problem is that I can't make it work for my user, just root.

#6 2010-09-19 09:25:13

Coacher

I've never used this program, but I found this in .install file in AUR:

Please make sure your user is a member of "plugdev" group if you use UPEK
non-free library, and modify your PAM configuration
(e.g., /etc/pam.d/{login,su,sudo,gdm}).

And

Refer to "Install-step-by-step.pdf" for more information.

Have you tried this?

#7 2010-09-19 12:36:56

TrevorNT

Coacher wrote:

I've never used this program, but I found this in .install file in AUR:

Please make sure your user is a member of "plugdev" group if you use UPEK
non-free library, and modify your PAM configuration
(e.g., /etc/pam.d/{login,su,sudo,gdm}).

And

Refer to "Install-step-by-step.pdf" for more information.

Have you tried this?

Yep, I saw that manual on the fingerprint-gui website.  My user is a member of plugdev and I modded the PAM configuration.  I actually have fingerprints registered as my root user and can log in through GDM as root, as well as use gksu (though it only works once and after that I get an error with su) and su with them.

The only problem is that my regular user can't use fingerprint-gui for some reason...

#8 2010-09-23 12:54:54

TrevorNT

Bump.

#9 2010-09-28 07:42:04

ffjia

TrevorNT wrote:

Yep, I saw that manual on the fingerprint-gui website.  My user is a member of plugdev and I modded the PAM configuration.  I actually have fingerprints registered as my root user and can log in through GDM as root, as well as use gksu (though it only works once and after that I get an error with su) and su with them.

The only problem is that my regular user can't use fingerprint-gui for some reason...

Run fingerprint-gui as regular user, then enroll your fingerprint....

It'll put your fingerprint data under /var/lib/fingerprint/your-username directory

#10 2010-09-28 12:06:21

TrevorNT

ffjia wrote:

Run fingerprint-gui as regular user, then enroll your fingerprint....

It'll put your fingerprint data under /var/lib/fingerprint/your-username directory

Tried it.  When I attempt to enroll a fingerprint as a regular user, fingerprint-gui gives me an error message.  Error -22.

Last edited by TrevorNT (2010-09-28 12:06:29)

#11 2010-09-28 12:57:33

ffjia

Add "debug" switch to fingerprint-gui, you can see the debug log in
/var/log/auth.log

#12 2010-09-28 18:54:22

TrevorNT

ffjia wrote:

Add "debug" switch to fingerprint-gui, you can see the debug log in
/var/log/auth.log

Okay, here's what's relevant:

Sep 28 14:48:52 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: initializing libfprint device (vend/prod) 0x147e/0x2016, driver: upeksonly
Sep 28 14:48:52 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Device upeksonly is handled by libbsapi already; not added.
Sep 28 14:48:52 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Current device set to 0 -- libbsapi.
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Please Swipe Your Right Index.
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Swipe finger at libbsapi.
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Thread started.
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Starting acquire.
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: ABSOpen() failed -1130 (Access denied. Probably you don't have sufficient rights to some system resource required to perform the operation.).
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: No device open.
Sep 28 14:48:57 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: Thread ended normally.
Sep 28 14:48:59 localhost fingerprint-gui[12071]: qApp exit.

The thing is that I AM in the plugdev and scanner groups that it says I need to have access to...so I wonder what's going on here...

EDIT: I don't know what happened but it works somehow...fingerprints registered, most things work.

Two problems:

1) SLiM refuses to show the fingerprint-gui dialog...I did modify its pam.d file so that pam_unix.so has the "try_first_pass" parameter and stuck the "auth   sufficient    pam_fingerprint-gui.so" at the top but the prompt won't display and the fingerprint scanner doesn't activate.

2) Trying to use "gksu" only works once with fingerprint-gui...the second and successive tries give me an error from su saying "/bin/su: incorrect password" before I even have time to swipe my finger or enter the password.  To work around this I changed the default authentication method of gksu to sudo, which works at all times.

I don't know that anyone can help with these but if you could I would be very appreciative.

Last edited by TrevorNT (2010-09-28 23:49:45)

#13 2010-09-29 01:17:16

ffjia

Well, I'm  glad that you make it work somehow, smile

I don't know about SLiM, does it have PAM configuration file?

The gksu problem, did you modify pam.d/su?

Also, you can get help from fingerprint-gui forum, I think.

http://darkblue.homeip.net/fingerprint/Forum/

#14 2010-09-29 01:34:20

TrevorNT

As I said in my reply...yeah, I modified the SLiM PAM configuration file, but no luck.

And I did modify su...it works the first time and authenticates properly under gksu, but not after the first.  su continually works, as does sudo and gksudo.

#15 2011-06-27 15:51:25

longint

Is there any news in here? Owning also T410 I also get this error -22. What excactly did you do to get it to work? Did you reboot your box after installing?

The GUI seems to work for root but testing seems not to be possible. When trying to log in on a console I get something like "could not lacate any suitable fingerprints matched with your hardware".

Any ideas?

Thx a lot...

#16 2011-06-29 13:57:29

TrevorNT

Hi!  Wow, this is an old thread...so much has changed about my system since I started using the fingerprinting tools to work with Arch.  Perhaps I should give it another shot...

Anyway, I don't really know what happened to make Error -22 go away, as I mentioned in the preceding posts...and unfortunately, that's all I've got >_< .

I'll give it another go presently and I'll see what happens.

EDIT: not coming up with Error -22, I have some ideas if you'd like to try them.

More to the point, I'm now having issues with everything except for su...login won't give me the fingerprint prompt (and comes up with a ton of polkitd junk messages every time I use Ctrl-Alt-F1), gksudo has no fingerprint-gui prompt showing, and slim shows the prompt but a successful fingerprint swipe doesn't log me in.  I hacked the pam files as instructed...maybe that would be a good place to start.

Also, when I make the modifications to sudo as described in the guide, it refuses to work with me anymore, giving me this set of messages:

[trevor@TORYKTT410 ~]$ sudo nano
Password: 
This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
GTK+ does not allow this therefore Qt cannot use the GTK+ integration.
Try launching your app using 'gksudo', 'kdesudo' or a similar tool.

See http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html for more information.

g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

(Note that even though "Password:" displays, it does not effectively allow me to enter my password.  Sudo effectively doesn't work unless I add "auth    required    pam_unix.so" as the first line in the /etc/pam.d/sudo file (anywhere else in the file it doesn't work) and that bypasses fingerprint-gui.  It's worth noting that in fingerprint-gui under Settings, when I use the sudo test authentication, everything works as it should.)

Last edited by TrevorNT (2011-06-29 16:02:36)

#17 2011-07-02 10:33:08

Rhiadratech

I dont know if its still maintained/there is an Arch port of it, but on Ubuntu i successfully set up Thinkfinger to use PAM and log in and sudo with my Thinkpad Z60t's fingerprint reader.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_en … hinkFinger

Edit: its in Extra repo.

Last edited by Rhiadratech (2011-07-03 19:08:52)

#18 2011-07-04 14:48:58

outerdark

Thinkfinger doesn't work for the fingerprint reader in T410.

I'm using fingerprint-gui and got all running, but has anyone been able to activate policykit successfully?

#19 2011-07-13 01:01:28

TrevorNT

outerdark wrote:

Thinkfinger doesn't work for the fingerprint reader in T410.

I'm using fingerprint-gui and got all running, but has anyone been able to activate policykit successfully?

What exactly do you mean by activating PolicyKit?  Most things work with my system at this point, if that's what you mean.

Also, as previously mentioned, ThinkFinger does NOT work with the T410.  Apparently it was designed for the older ThinkPads and never updated for the new ones.

#20 2011-07-30 04:53:58

phoenixlzx
Website

I have a new ThinkPad T420 and have fprint-gui installed...thinkfinger wont work as well.

But i still have some question...I registered my fingerprint but anyone can change my register through fprint-GUI(it doesnt need password to change it!)

how can i fix this problem?

PS.fprint-gui wont work with kdm as well...

thanks.

#21 2011-07-30 16:53:28

TrevorNT

phoenixlzx wrote:

I have a new ThinkPad T420 and have fprint-gui installed...thinkfinger wont work as well.

But i still have some question...I registered my fingerprint but anyone can change my register through fprint-GUI(it doesnt need password to change it!)

thanks.

Interesting...I don't use KDE (Xfce all the way!) so I don't really know why hijacking the PolKit file didn't work for KDM logins, but I do know that it took a little experimentation to get SLiM working correctly.  Keep playing around with the PolKit files and if something goes wrong then drop to a terminal and fix the file again.  Keep a backup of the kdm file as well so it's easier to fix the file if something goes wrong.

When you run fingerprint-gui, it registers fingerprints for just your user (unless you use gksudo or kdesudo, in which case it registers the root fingerprint), so there's no chance another user can change your fingerprints unless they have your password (in which case you're unprotected as it is).  And if you're worried about people overwriting your fingerprint while you're away from your machine, then lock your computer when you walk away like I do.  I don't know how KDE does it but I programmed a keystroke on my T410 (Fn+F2) to run xflock4.

Hoping that helps!

-TNT

#22 2011-08-06 10:46:16

phoenixlzx
Website

TrevorNT wrote:
phoenixlzx wrote:

thanks.

Interesting...I don't use KDE (Xfce all the way!) so I don't really know why hijacking the PolKit file didn't work for KDM logins, but I do know that it took a little experimentation to get SLiM working correctly.  Keep playing around with the PolKit files and if something goes wrong then drop to a terminal and fix the file again.  Keep a backup of the kdm file as well so it's easier to fix the file if something goes wrong.

When you run fingerprint-gui, it registers fingerprints for just your user (unless you use gksudo or kdesudo, in which case it registers the root fingerprint), so there's no chance another user can change your fingerprints unless they have your password (in which case you're unprotected as it is).  And if you're worried about people overwriting your fingerprint while you're away from your machine, then lock your computer when you walk away like I do.  I don't know how KDE does it but I programmed a keystroke on my T410 (Fn+F2) to run xflock4.

Hoping that helps!

-TNT

That's a good way to protect my laptop.thanks a lot..

but you kown...when i tried fedora 15 with GNOME 3 in vbox i found that gdm have a choice between password and fingerprint..you can set up your fingerprint in gnome-settings manager.is this a gnome-shell plugin or something else?

PS.i have my HDAPS work well this morning..so i am very happy now!

#23 2011-08-07 01:54:06

TrevorNT

Again, I really don't know about other DE's...I think the fingerprinting option is one of Fedora's touches though, they really do a good job with adding the extra features.  I just don't like GNOME 3 very much.  It's most of the reason I switched back to using Xfce again.

-TNT

Board footer