You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-07 09:00:05

roti

laptop power management: what to choose?

Ok. I'm confused. I just switched to arch and stumbled upon the first big issue (until now everything worked smoothly even though it took me more time, but it was aware of that so no complains here). The issue: laptop power management.

After installing gnome it seemed to be working right out of the box: battery info was displayed, suspend was working when closing the lid, etc. First problem: my laptop remained suspended for a night or so, battery was getting critical and eventually died. So no hibernation! which I was expecting since this was configued in gnome (click on battery icon and choose power settings).

soi I started digging into arch wiki to find solutions. found pm-utils (which were already installed, perhaps by some dependency from gnome), tried pm-hibernate and it worked only by half. resume was not working. ok, so "resume" parameter is required in grub when booting and also the resume hook in mkinitcpio. then it worked fine.

first question: why is the resume parameter not there by default?

i suppose there's more to be done, since during that night, the system did not even try to hibernate (I can tell that by the fact that the filessytem needed to be check during the first boot). and here is where I get confused. I find cpufreq-utils, laptop-mode-tools, acpi module, acpi daemon and then the dedicated laptop page on the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop) where i find TLP (power management scripts for thinkpads, which look interesting since I have a thinkpad) and a bunch of other stuff. But I don't know which one to choose.

ACPI daemon apparently is not necessary when you have udev (I think I have udev, but i'm not sure). But then hibernation was not working right.

Could not figure out what the acpi modules where. do I need them?

Laptop-mode-tools seem deprecated, according to pm-utils wiki page. and also seem to overlap with TLP in functionality si I should choose one of them. but the question is: do they also overlap with power management stuff from gnome (which probably works over dbus).

i really do wish the laptop wiki page would offer more biased information instead of listing the available solutions. for example for network configuration, the wiki describes very nicely the possibilities: "you have three solutions, please use only one, the first has this and that advantage, the second this and that and so on. And also our reccomandation is this."

so, bottom line, my main question to you guys is to give me some reccomandations for the whole power management thing which should work well in gnome (read: to have good integration with gnome).

thanks. R.

Last edited by roti (2011-08-07 11:02:51)

#2 2011-08-07 09:47:59

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: laptop power management: what to choose?

Welcome to the forums roti, please edit your topic title so that it reflects the actual problem you are experiencing.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-08-07 11:03:44

roti

Re: laptop power management: what to choose?

litemotiv wrote:

Welcome to the forums roti, please edit your topic title so that it reflects the actual problem you are experiencing.

ok. done.

Board footer