You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-23 14:34:56

Aventinus

Gnome Shell + Extensions = Problems when updating

Hello Archers!

A small introduction first. I've been using Arch Linux for more than a year now and I totally love it. I'm also a Gnome fan. And I fall in love with Gnome Shell after a couple of weeks of use. I want the best out of Gnome Shell so I like some power user extensions such as System Monitor and others. I'm aware of the "dangers" that Rolling Release has but in the Gnome 2 era, these "dangers" were zero due to the extreme stability of Gnome. Now that Gnome Shell has come, because of it's "baby" age, it is not as stable.

During the last months, after the occasional pacman -Syu, I had crushes. Most of the times I solved the problems but sometimes it just... Got into my nervers. For instance, two days ago I returned from my vacation and I upgraded my system. After the reboot, I had no display. Just like that.

My guess is that the root of the problems are the extensions. I install a lot of the extensions that are in AUR and not in Extra (via yaourt). And due to the variety of versions between Gnome Shell and the Extensions, I have crushes.

To sum up:

What I DO want:
Arch Linux
Gnome Shell
The best of the Shell Extensions, such as System Monitor
The option to upgrade my system without the fear of crushes

What I do NOT want:
Crushes. (Yeah, how about that? :-P)

If am I right and the problem are indeed the extensions, how can I solve this? Do you experience same issues? Should I ignore Gnome Shell on upgrading? Should I do not use Extensions from AUR? (But I want to!) What do you suggest?

I know that Rolling Release isn't known for stability but I want the most stable experience that Arch Linux + Gnome Shell + Extensions can get me.

Thanks in advance for reading my boring post and for your help. :-)

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

#2 2011-07-24 08:46:11

satanselbow

Re: Gnome Shell + Extensions = Problems when updating

I'm also a Arch+G3 fanboy - although don't feel the need to go too mad on the extensions wink

Their are some extension that just do not play nice together for one reason or another. The most common problem being the "shell version" tag in the extension's metadata.json file - usually found at:

/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/<name-of-extension>/metadata.json

There are a a couple of extension (such as the weather related ones) that are known to cause "crushes"... I call 'em "crashes" myself - but that might just be me...  until properly configured - documentation and google are your friends wink

Researching what the extension does, known issues associated with and how to tweak it before blindly updating is usually a pretty good policy to adopt generally with Arch wink

#3 2011-07-24 09:28:05

Aventinus

Finally! An answer! Well I have done my share of Google searching about how to prevent these issues but because other Distros such as Fedora, are not Rolling Release, such problems do not exist. That's why I'm eager to know how Archers deal with this.

Thanks for the answer though. smile

#4 2011-07-27 05:00:02

Aventinus

No one yet with a breath taking answer? :'(

#5 2011-08-07 20:10:52

Aventinus

I'm sad.

#6 2011-08-07 20:40:29

mandog

My guess is that the root of the problems are the extensions. I install a lot of the extensions that are in AUR and not in Extra (via yaourt). And due to the variety of versions between Gnome Shell and the Extensions, I have crushes.

You answered your own question some of the extensions in AUR will update but not all.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#7 2011-08-07 21:23:51

Aventinus

mandog wrote:

You answered your own question some of the extensions in AUR will update but not all.

I'm glad that we agree. Right now I have put gnome and gnome-extra in the ignore group to avoid such problems. What I want to know is how the rest of the community deals with these problems.

#8 2011-08-07 23:07:36

oded

Aventinus wrote:

What I want to know is how the rest of the community deals with these problems.

Well, I use 7 extensions, 5 of which are from AUR (including shellshape and its mutter fork) and have not experienced repeated crashes.
Before I install an AUR extension, I check its source page and documentation to steer away of clear bugs. I also try to use only actively maintained ones.
I'm picky but still find myself having a large number of extensions to choose from without compromising stability...

Board footer