You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-20 22:18:04

mitcoes

X-configure with AMD64 and ATI 4250HD fails

I have just installed Arch
I figured to install gnome-shell would do all, but not,
i did pacman -S xorg to install the X
and After that I run X-configure and it gave me some errors.

As i have ubuntu and the .run ati installer I installed the fglrx driver at Arch, did not work
I copied my ubuntu xorg.conf not work too
I edited xorg.conf to put "radeon" driver instead of "fglrx"
i also installed gnome
i tried X-configure severla times and give me errors of "other drivers ot ati"
I tried to remove xorg "pacman -R xorg", impossible
I tried to reinstall and instead of install all, install only 13 the ati driver, nothing.

The Xorg man page says that there are some problems with X-configure sometimes.

As AMD64 +ATI is a common config, and sure there are some gurus that has this config working with the X
I suggest, not only publish it, making arch packages for this not working with X-configure configuration to be detected and well configured.

Last time I installed Arch was less diffcult but editing manually xorg.conf I was able to do it, I'm revisiting this distro, and is not very comfortable to install the X
even if it did work.

But thanks in advance if anyone can give me a xorg.conf that works

#2 2011-07-20 22:34:18

karol
Archivist

Re: X-configure with AMD64 and ATI 4250HD fails

'pacman -S xorg' installs the whole group, all the drivers. Remove the group and install only the packages you need.

You mean you used the .run ati installer on Arch? Why not use the packages that are provided in the repos?

Last edited by karol (2011-07-20 22:36:54)

#3 2011-08-06 22:52:01

glaiky

In addition to xorg you need to install xorg-xinit. If you have installed the ATI proprietry driver, run (as root) aticonfig --initial to create an xorg.conf file. Add 'nomodeset' to /boot/grub/grub.lst (on the line that points to your kernel.

#4 2011-08-07 08:07:02

karol
Archivist

glaiky wrote:

In addition to xorg you need to install xorg-xinit. If you have installed the ATI proprietry driver, run (as root) aticonfig --initial to create an xorg.conf file. Add 'nomodeset' to /boot/grub/grub.lst (on the line that points to your kernel.

What do you mean "In addition to xorg"? 'xorg' is a group one shouldn't ever need to install whole.

#5 2011-08-08 16:32:13

Caliburn

karol wrote:
glaiky wrote:

What do you mean "In addition to xorg"? 'xorg' is a group one shouldn't ever need to install whole.

As you've already explained.

In addition to everything else others have said, mitcoes, per the Beginner's Guide [ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … #Install_X ] follow what it recommends, albeit it's notable the guide presumes this is a new install. If you intend on using Catalyst, the link is available there for the ATI Catalyst instructions.

Board footer