#28 2005-02-24 15:09:39

darkcoder

Re: [extra:editors] nvu 1.0 with KDE mimetypes

source link fixed on PKGBUILD.

#29 2005-03-05 22:53:57

darkcoder

Latest nvu findings...

1. gawk is not needed. There were no errors on compilation or execution ATM without it, so I decided  to remove the gawk dependency.  Like two weeks ago I updated the PKGBUILD while keeping the same version, but forgot to tell you about it.  Anyway don't think anyone will just recompile this beast only to remove a dependency.

2. Also make a change to the kde-sitemanager patch and replace the $(KDEDIR) and $(QTDIR) for direct links to /opt/kde and /opt/qt.  While the former looks better, cleaner, the truth is that a non kde user who desires to install this package will have problems if kdelibs is installed just prior to makepkg, because KDEDIR and QTDIR values will not be available until next logon, making the package compilation fail.

3. nvu 0.90-rc1 is compiling just fine, all patches worked without problem.  The only mods I do was changing the path of some instructions on the PKGBUILD itself to reflect the rc1 value. Those values will not be needed by the final version anyways.  So I'm considering the PKGBUILD and patches mature enought. 

BTW, since nvu 0.90-rc1 is just a test package, and nvu-0.90 final will come in the following days, no package will be posted until 0.90 final comes.

#30 2005-03-06 17:17:53

darkcoder

Findings take 2:

Found recently while testing a Gnome PC that for some reason the package failed to build at the nvu -register instruction giving the following error:

(Gecko:6899): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Unable to create ~/.gnome directory: Permission denied
Could not create per-user gnome configuration directory `/root/.gnome2/': Permission denied

The problem is that it tries to get to the directories shown on the error above ( /root/.gnome2) and since fakeroot is not able to do that it fails.

It occurs when Gnome is installed, even if user is currently running another DE like KDE when building the package.  Haven't tested other DE like XFCE to see if the problem spread even more.

For the time being, if your PC have Gnome installed, even if you are not an active Gnome user, should build the package as root.

Any light on how can I bypass or patch this gnome-vfs problem will be appreciated.

#31 2005-03-12 01:24:51

darkcoder

nvu 0.90 PKGBUILD is available for your building pleasure.

#32 2005-04-15 00:09:08

darkcoder

I'm already building the latest 1.0PR.  All patches applied without problems, and no changes ATM has been required on the mozconfig. 

I've been researching a bit on the Gnome compile problem, and even submited the info to Daniel but haven't got a reply yet.  But apparently the -register option from Nvu has issues with gnome-vfs running under a fakeroot environment.  Even when not login on Gnome, if it is installed, Nvu fails to compile.  Found a flag --disable-gnomevfs but do nothing for the problem.

The worst, I made some tests with firefox and thunderbird, and both include the -register option and both fail with the same error on the same conditions, thus that means the problem is upstream.

Dunno if the latest 1.0PR has the same issue since I'm compiling it ATM, so I'll post any details, but probably people with Gnome installed will require to build as root as the last version. 

The other alternative will be reverting to the non-root patch, which will add a binary package to the equation that I know many people are unconfortable with, and make more difficult to maintain the whole package, 3-5 days delay compared to same or next day delivery right now

#33 2005-04-15 03:36:55

darkcoder

me and my big mouth...

The kdesitemanager patch will change for the 1.0PR version.  In fact due to code cleanup the patch is smaller, only changing 3 files instead of 6 to adjust Arch kde paths to nvu sources.

But everything else remains the same... already compiled, just making some last adjustments and then will post the updates.

#34 2005-04-15 14:36:06

darkcoder

version 1.0PR available now.  Previous users only need the PKGBUILD, kde-1.0PR-kdesitemanager.patch, and nvu-nonroot.tar.gz

Return to the non root patch approach since that way Gnome people can build nvu without being root due to the problem the -register command has betweeen gnome-vfs and fakeroot.  The curious (or non trusting) can anyway open the tar.gz and they will see some files that are build when nvu runs with the -register command as root.

Anyway I think the delay with the patch will not be that bad, since I make a script that will take the created files for me, so I will not have to be doing that manually as before  big_smile

I will upload the files to the aur site soon.

#35 2005-07-01 23:59:07

darkcoder

Version 1.0 available now, files also available on AUR site.

Enjoy it.

PS. I'll be on vacation next week and probably far from computers, so please check it.

Board footer