You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-19 03:27:43

johnisevil
Website

nForce2 chipset

I've recently decided to upgrade my gateway/firewall box to an Athlon XP 2500 and the motherboard uses the nForce2 chipset.  Has anyone had problems with this in Arch?  I've looked around and read about people having problems with the nForce2 chipset and Linux.  The gist of what I've read is to do with system lockups.  Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 2003-11-19 04:12:51

MNKyDeth

Re: nForce2 chipset

I use Nforce chipsets as my main choice when buying mobo's. I own 3 Abit NF7-S baords version #'s 1.0 - 1.2 - 2.0. I have absolutely no problem with them. I do not however use the onboard sound as I have sblive and audigy and audigy2 in them. The onboard nic's work great after you install the nvidia drivers from there site. I do not hower install the full package, I install just the nvnet portion instide the .tar file they provide.

Now, I do have an Asus A&N266-VM, this board does seem to have some severe issues. This board unlike my Abit boards has onboard video so I do not know if that is part of the problem. Basically it seems to run good and normal when in use unless you access the network card. If you use the network card on this mobo the cpu will shoot upto 100% usage. I have tried many things to remedy this but to no avail. But, it's ok, it's the one mobo I use for windass.

I also have a Asus A7N266-E. This baord seems ok. I have not noticed any strange issues besides the built in sound being a pain in the keyster. It works then it doesn't then it works again. I have no idea why again. A simple SBlive card fixed this. So no problems for me other than sound. Also, I did not experience any wierd 100% cpu usage on this board while using the onboard NIC, seems good to me.

I also have a friend where I setup Arch linux for him and he has an Asus Nforce3 with Opteron. This board worked great also, never seen Arch move so fast it's nut's how fast that thing is and he only had the 1800mhz Opteron. He uses an audigy soundcard and not the onboard sound. Creative is just the place to be in linux and sound. smile

Hope some of this info helps you out and if you need any help specific to these types of bards feel free to PM me. I think they are great and will never use a ALI, VIA, SIS again.

#3 2003-11-19 06:36:50

johnisevil
Website

Thanks for the reply.  The board I got is the ASUS A7N8X-X model.  I still have to go get memory for this so I'll most likely be building it later today.  The reason I went with the switch is I had an Athlon T-Bird system that used a cheap Chaintech board that had the VIA chipset and it didn't freeze too much, but the fact that it did at all is what got to be annoying.

#4 2003-11-19 07:05:23

MNKyDeth

I have never actually experienced any freezing with my boards so all seems well there. I am glad you decided to take the dive into a Nforce2 mobo, I think you will be happy with it.

Even the Asus A7N-266-VM never actually froze just 100% cpu usage when info was going over the NIC. Well, anyway I hope things go well for ya.

#5 2003-11-19 12:11:00

zen_guerrilla

johnisevil wrote:

I've recently decided to upgrade my gateway/firewall box to an Athlon XP 2500 and the motherboard uses the nForce2 chipset.

OT: My firewall (& nfs/samba/imap/smtp server) at home still uses a pentium/133 with 32mb ram. Man, I've gotta upgrade sometime big_smile.

#6 2003-11-19 14:55:22

dariball
Website

2 cents:

OMG an athlon 2500+ as a gateway...
damn, i have a k6-2/350 smile
does this gateway provide access for about 200users smile ??
is this not cpu-power wasting? is there no law against this big_smile ?

nothing,
maybe I have a perfect signature _someday_

#7 2003-11-19 19:26:32

johnisevil
Website

2 cents:

OMG an athlon 2500+ as a gateway...
damn, i have a k6-2/350
does this gateway provide access for about 200users ??
is this not cpu-power wasting? is there no law against this ?

I figure that as long as I'm power hungry and can afford this power, why not? smile

#8 2003-11-19 20:05:02

zen_guerrilla

johnisevil wrote:

I figure that as long as I'm power hungry and can afford this power, why not? smile

well, if that box is gonna act only as a firewall/router, u could put your oldest box to do the job and create an openmosix cluster with the athlon 2500+ & any other powerful boxes you have & run ie. seti@home.
This way you both satisfy your hunger for power & you could help in discovering E.T. life.

...just joking, of course big_smile.

Board footer