You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-03 01:22:42

efourseven

this is good. just wanna let people know.

Whats up arch users! I just installed arch linux and this is an awesome distro. quick story...

I first tried linux many years ago, and I ran slackware. I didn't stick with me for long though. I went back to windows shortly thereafter (though it was cool). I then tried freebsd like 2 years ago and that was awesome, but again didn't stick with it for that long.

I started getting into music a lot more and so most of my time was spent playing guitar and producing music. I didn't make any time for computers anymore. And so for producing music, the only way to go, before I found out about ardour and JACK on a message board about a week ago, was using nuedo 2 (sequencer/multitrack program)  running on windows. or analog tape decks, which I still like best, but thats a different topic.

Yea so anyway, I heard about being able to multitrack and sequence on Linux and I right away remembered how awesome, fast, cool, stable, and most of all fun that Linux and the bsd's were. Needless to say, I wanted to jump in and hang with the producers of the future, using open source software. hell yea.

I decided to install Linux once again and chose Arch because I looked around for small fast basic linux distro's. Arch came up with a few others, but arch stuck out to me more. Especially because of this forum, the documentation, and pacman. I Just installed it today, with basicly no problems. That's crazy in my experience with open source OS's. Very straight foward install. It really was a breeze. I suck at linux, real bad, and I had this thing up and running in 4 hours with the internet, xfce4, firefox, and sound working as well as dual booted with windows using lilo. I am posting this from linux now. awesome. The wiki doc's and searching this message board got me thru everything before lunch.

I need to refresh my memory on my shell commmands and tinker around a bit, then it is time to get to work turning my linux into a multitrack recording studio, and whats even cooler is... I can start having fun programming in perl and c again like the geek i was/am. hell yea. hopefully you guys will be around to help me getting my system to do what I need. this was basicly just a success story.  peace! 

-e 8)

#2 2005-07-03 02:00:45

max_sipos
Website

Re: this is good. just wanna let people know.

Welcome, fellow Arch musician smile

#3 2005-07-03 02:28:25

ozar

Welcome to the forums... hope you'll have fun and visit often!    8)

oz

#4 2005-07-03 08:02:07

CyberTron
Website

welcome to arch, may your visit be long big_smile

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#5 2005-07-03 08:35:18

neri
Forum Fellow

welcome, to the Arch musicians, and i point you to here, maybe it helps you... tongue

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=97617#97617

-neri

#6 2005-07-04 00:12:02

efourseven

Thanks guys. And thanks neri for the link. I'm glad to be back on linux.

#7 2005-07-04 00:58:01

Euphoric Nightmare

That reminds me, I really need to get rosegarden working.  I haven't even started on a song since i switched to arch.

Board footer