You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-16 21:48:27

steff

iBook g4 hangs on boot "waiting for udev uevents..."

After successfull install when I try booting from the hard drive it hangs on this line, after" loading modules ok".
Is there maybe a missing element in HOOKS= in mkinitcpio.conf? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2011-07-27 00:34:23

ElderSnake

Re: iBook g4 hangs on boot "waiting for udev uevents..."

Hi steff, I just had the same problem. The "fix" is thankfully quite simple though I'm not sure how you append it to yaboot permanently. Will have to look into that part.

Anyway, to get it past Udev on an iBook G4, on the Yaboot prompt type (after "boot:") "Linux video=radeonfb radeon.agpmode=-1"

Then it seems to boot fine. I dunno what the problem is, I guess it doesn't detect the Radeon/FireGL video card properly.

Credit goes to this page: http://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comme … periences/

EDIT: Hmm, it still occasionally does it though hmm.

Last edited by ElderSnake (2011-07-27 03:11:11)

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#3 2011-07-27 06:05:05

steff

Thanks for the hint. I "solved" in the mean time  installing debian ppc, works well out of the box everything.

man yaboot:

PER-IMAGE SECTIONS
A per-image section starts with either a line

image=filename

(for booting from files) From the image line on until next image line are variable assignments and flags for this image's section. The following options and flags are recognized:

label=name
    The bootloader uses the main file name (without its path) of each image specification to identify that image. A different name can be used by setting the variable `label'. 
alias=name
    A second name for the same entry can be used by specifying an alias. 
partition=part_no
    Specifies the default partition number (a digit, hda1 is part_no 1) to be used if some filename does not specify a partition number explicitly. The kernel images should be located on the root filesystem, thus partition should usually be set to the root partition number. For example if the root partition is /dev/hda3 (the third partition), then partition should be set to partition=3. 
device=device_name
    Specifies the default device name to be used if some filename does not specify a device name explicitly. This defaults to the device yaboot has been booted from if you don't specify device in either the global section or per-image section of the config file. 
append=string
    Appends the options specified to the parameter line passed to the kernel. This is typically used to specify parameters of hardware that can't be entirely auto-detected or for which probing may be dangerous. Example:

append = "video=ofonly" 

Last edited by steff (2011-07-27 06:09:38)

#4 2011-07-27 06:08:54

ElderSnake

Nice, is it pretty fast and responsive?

I've found Ubuntu PPC variants to be somewhat sluggish on my G4 (even with lightweight environments), which is why I was trying Arch on it. Thought I might try something else until the Arch PPC is fully sorted. It works but not every boot, which can be annoying for all who use it.

And cheers, looks easy to append the commands in yaboot.conf

Last edited by ElderSnake (2011-07-27 06:11:32)

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#5 2011-07-27 06:23:43

steff

As far as I've tested it's fast (gnome DE), boot is somewhat longer than OS X but shutdown is very fast  (RAM is  1,5GB). Only problem I had was creating a right-click key solved

xmodmap -e “keycode 104″=Pointer_Button3 && xkbset m &

Missing flash, skype and chromium is an issue.

#6 2011-08-02 19:06:58

mikemikemike

I have this same problem with my G4 iBook. The "Linux video=radeonfb radeon.agpmode=-1" thing works but typing that in each time was annoying after the third time I did it. I can't be typing that every time.

Where can I put those options so they're always used?

I assumed I could put the in /etc/yaboot.conf like

image=/boot/vmlinux
      label=Linux
      [stuff]
      append="video=radeonfb radeon.agpmode=-1"

so I did that, then then ran ybin, then the system wouldn't boot. Corrupted something or other on something or other /pci/blhablah. I didn't write it down and Arch is currently re-installing anyway.

#7 2011-08-02 19:31:36

ElderSnake

Hmm thats exactly what I put in yaboot.conf.

However I never ran ybin.... ugh, I'm such a yaboot noob, no wonder mine didnt boot reliably... it wouldn't have been updated with the append line anyway.

Unfortunately I dont have Arch on it ATM to test, I installed Fedora 12 PPC which works great.

#8 2011-08-14 08:37:51

stryder

Hi fellas, anyone solved this? I have just installed and got stuck at the same place. And yes the hint works but hoping for  a permanent solution. First time so a little apprehensive to try anything for now...

#9 2011-08-15 00:09:35

stryder

OK decided to try it myself. Assuming 3Mike's attempt was a wrong methodology I decided to use 2 append lines:

append="video=radeonfb"
append="radeon.agpmode=-1"

ran ybin, some complaint about nvram but ignored, rebooted, works.
Now to tackle wireless.

Board footer