You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-01 13:11:53

Benedict_White
Website

Linux format

Just thought I would let you guys know that Linux format carried arch on its cover cd/dvd this month.

There was no review however.

Still never mind. perhaps there will be.

Kind regards

Benedict White

#2 2005-07-01 13:27:13

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Linux format

i was disappointed not to see a review too - where in Sussex be ye?

#3 2005-07-01 13:29:30

TheDoctor
Website

Benedict_White wrote:

Just thought I would let you guys know that Linux format carried arch on its cover cd/dvd this month.

There was no review however.

Still never mind. perhaps there will be.

Ahh, every time I go to the UK, I grab a linux format.  Excellent magazine.  It's much better than the ones we get in N.A.  Too bad the foreign subscriptions are so expensive.

#4 2005-07-01 13:29:47

arooaroo
Website

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't have covered it a little more. In the coverdisc section at the back, it spends all the time describing how to use *another* distro to partiition your drives. They could have simply said that if you want non-destructive partitioning, use something else in advance, otherwise standard partitioning options are available in the Arch setup. Then they would have had more space to actually provide some more info about Arch itself.

I couldn't help noticing how the screenshot for Ark showed its GUI setup utility, and whilsts its installing files, you get tetris to kill the time. Nice touch I thought (for newbies especially) My Mum's a tetris addict, I wonder if this is the way to get her to convert to Linux! big_smile

#5 2005-07-01 13:32:10

arooaroo
Website

TheDoctor wrote:

It's much better than the ones we get in N.A.

That's true about most things, not just Linux mags wink

#6 2005-07-01 13:43:34

TheDoctor
Website

arooaroo wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

It's much better than the ones we get in N.A.

That's true about most things, not just Linux mags wink

The last time I visited, it rained every day I was there, but then I did go during the rainy season (January-November) smile

I'd love to live there, but the housing prices where I'd want to live, Cardiff,  are astronomical.  I can buy four houses in Canada for the price of a two bedroom flat in the downtown core.  And I can't get a good cup of coffee anywhere on the island. 

Let me know when they get a Tim Hortons.

#7 2005-07-01 13:55:56

arooaroo
Website

TheDoctor wrote:

The last time I visited, it rained every day I was there, but then I did go during the rainy season (January-November) smile

The natives don't notice the rain! There's a (slightly dubious) theory that the reason why the industrial revolution occurred in Britain was because we weren't sunning ourselves on the beaches! Whilst mainland Europe were enjoying their cafe-culture, the likes of Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Christopher Wren were changing the world. tongue

I'd love to live there, but the housing prices where I'd want to live, Cardiff,  are astronomical.  I can buy four houses in Canada for the price of a two bedroom flat in the downtown core.  And I can't get a good cup of coffee anywhere on the island.

Come to my house then, I'll make you a decent brew smile It's not our fault we've been invaded by Starbucks et al.

House prices aren't that much. We're all stinking rich in England. The Queen dishes an annual dividend to her loyal subjects. We basically have a castle each! Or, maybe that was a dream, and house prices are sky-high. I dunno, this heatwave we're having is warping my brain...

quoi?

#8 2005-07-01 14:50:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

arooaroo wrote:

I couldn't help noticing how the screenshot for Ark showed its GUI setup utility, and whilsts its installing files, you get tetris to kill the time. Nice touch I thought (for newbies especially) My Mum's a tetris addict, I wonder if this is the way to get her to convert to Linux! big_smile

Archie does that!

And Archie installs a pure, unmodified Arch Linux system, unmodified from what you would get from a normal Arch install, cept has a few more packages.

#9 2005-07-01 14:54:34

arooaroo
Website

Ah, I stand corrected (well, not exactly corrected, more like 'enlightened') I've not tried Archie since Arch has been so stable. My friend wants me to install Linux on his laptop. I gave him Fedora 4 but for some reason it wouldn't even get to the setup screen sad Perhaps I'll grab Archie and try it out on his system.

#10 2005-07-01 14:58:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

traitor...

#11 2005-07-01 15:05:26

arooaroo
Website

I'm no traitor! I'm staying put. However, my friend's laptop appears to like being a PITA. I tried a copy of Knoppix I had  floating about and that loaded fine. I only gave him Fedora because I thought it would be easier for him to install (he's not very experienced at installing linux) It occurred to me, that the advantage of the live distros is you can check they work before committing yourself to the install. If Archie gives vanilla Arch, in a try-before-you buy fashion, rather than suck-it-and-see, then that seems like a good idea.

#12 2005-07-01 15:26:36

TheDoctor
Website

arooaroo wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

quoi?

It's a Coffee and Donut chain started by a hockey legend.  It's the best coffee in Canada, and we have more of them than we do Starbucks.

And it's much cheaper.  $1.55 cdn for an XL coffee. 

If we had Greg's bakeries, I'd be in heaven.  You can't get a good sausage roll or corned beef pasty here.

#13 2005-07-01 15:32:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I tried a copy of Knoppix

don't make things worse for yourself, sonny, you're in enough trouble already

tongue

#14 2005-07-01 15:33:04

arooaroo
Website

TheDoctor wrote:

If we had Greg's bakeries, I'd be in heaven.  You can't get a good sausage roll or corned beef pasty here.

Man, I hope that's a joke, because Gregg's is nasty (it's the McD's of bakeries - a faceless corporation serving poor quality goods, served by morons). If that's your thing, just wait until you try a proper bakery.

#15 2005-07-01 15:36:30

TheDoctor
Website

arooaroo wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Man, I hope that's a joke, because Gregg's is nasty (it's the McD's of bakeries - a faceless corporation serving poor quality goods, served by morons). If that's your thing, just wait until you try a proper bakery.

Even then, they're still better than we get here.  And there's one right outside the Cardiff bus terminal, so that's how I'd start my day.

#16 2005-07-01 15:36:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

the idea of gregg's makes me want to puke - of course it's the staple diet for some the less fortunate

#17 2005-07-01 17:44:44

sarah31
Website

The UK is an evil wicked place just like everywhere else.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#18 2005-07-02 02:25:31

Duke

... except for Canada.  TheDoctor is wrong, Canada is the greatest place in the world, it is the birthplace of everything good.

Although, I don't know where you are, but there sure are a lot more Starbucks, Second Cups and Coffee Depots here in Montreal than Tim Hortons.  Which kinda sucks because Tim Hortons does indeed make great coffee for the price (really cheap).

#19 2005-07-02 02:29:59

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Duke wrote:

... except for Canada.  TheDoctor is wrong, Canada is the greatest place in the world, it is the birthplace of everything good.

Although, I don't know where you are, but there sure are a lot more Starbucks, Second Cups and Coffee Depots here in Montreal than Tim Hortons.  Which kinda sucks because Tim Hortons does indeed make great coffee for the price (really cheap).

greatest place in the world after Australia you mean.

#20 2005-07-02 02:30:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Duke wrote:

Canada is the greatest place in the world, it is the birthplace of everything good.

yah, but that's just me.  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

#21 2005-07-02 02:59:43

TheDoctor
Website

Duke wrote:

I never said that Canada wasn't a great place to live, I just said that you can't get a good sausage roll in Canada.

And I'm in Windsor.  We have something like one Tims for every six people or something like that, but only a handful of Starbucks (thank God).

#22 2005-07-02 03:04:18

sarah31
Website

Bah! Canada is evil too .... we are just too ignorant to notic e our respectability has plummetted over the last five years.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#23 2005-07-02 11:01:41

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I liked Canada for its 50% alcohol in Labbatt's Tripple Megaplex Ice.

#24 2005-07-03 18:58:57

Cotton

It depends what you are comparing:

http://www.nationmaster.com/

Board footer