You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-17 17:00:18

KLIM

[SOLVED] Arch on SSD, unable to boot

Hello guys!

Today, I started installing my new arch system 64-bit on my new SSD.
Yesterday, I partioned this SSD with gdisk, as describe on the wiki.
I have my 3. partion (sdc3) as both / and home, since it works for me now (current system)

# gdisk -l /dev/sdc
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.7.2

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sdc: 117231408 sectors, 55.9 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 42DD6909-D9AC-485C-A11F-14A6F43C3054
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 117231374
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048            4095   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot partition
   2            4096          208895   100.0 MiB   8300  Linux filesystem
   3          208896       117231374   55.8 GiB    8300  Linux filesystem

I installed arch almost as I usual do. The only thing changed was I didn't format any partitions, only set the mount points. /dev/sdc2 got a boot flag and /dev/sdc3 got a root flag.
I skipped the install bootloader, since I read I need to use GRUB2 when arch is installed on SSD's.

I followed GRUB2 wiki page, and installation went fine. Had a bit struggling with the grub configs, but got it working (i think atleast).

Now I just have this problem, after GRUB2 and my new system starts to boot. I doesn't get any longer than this:

Loading Initramfs
:: Starting udevd...
ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device '/dev/5273d838-30c8-4626-beff-452572b5556c'.

Then I get dropped to a recovery shell, and I'm forced to use the reboot button on my computer since the keyboard doesn't work either.
I've tried removing autodetect from mkinitcpio.conf, and rebuilding the image. Didn't work though sad

Any one got any suggestions ?

Last edited by KLIM (2011-08-18 10:45:39)

#2 2011-08-17 17:32:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Arch on SSD, unable to boot

Perhaps post your kernel line from grub to establish the uuid data.....................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2011-08-17 18:04:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

My system has a pseudo SSD installed with 5 CF cards.  I established one CF with boot partition of 100mb and the rest of 16gb as a raid partition.  I did similar arrangement of the remaining four, using the the raid array as root.  I did not include home.

I skipped grub edit during install but while using FTP install I selected grub2 option which was downloaded during the install process.

My system peerforms at 79GB with hdparm read speed of 306MB/s.  I have yet to install linux kernel.

My system is bleeding edge, really, because it is raid0.

It is possible that the grub data in /etc/boot needs attention with partitioned SSD.

In the process of install, the system calls for swap firstly.  I assigned 100mb of one of the CF cards as swap to keep the install sequence satisfied. 

Because I have 3.2 GB of ram in my system, and don't play games, I do not expect swap to be needed.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2011-08-17 18:56:48

KLIM

Here is my grub.cfg

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function load_video {
  insmod vbe
  insmod vga
  insmod video_bochs
  insmod video_cirrus
}

set menu_color_normal=light-blue/black
set menu_color_highlight=light-cyan/blue

insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
set root='(hd4,gpt3)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5273d838-30c8-4626-beff-452572b5556c
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod part_gpt
  insmod ext2
  set root='(hd4,gpt2)'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 36aea09d-cecf-4130-9325-9d31f20220ad
  set locale_dir=($root)/grub/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_input console
terminal_output gfxterm
set timeout=5
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Arch Linux' --class archlinux --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd4,gpt3)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 36aea09d-cecf-4130-9325-9d31f20220ad
    echo    'Loading Linux linux ...'
    linux   /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=5273d838-30c8-4626-beff-452572b5556c ro fastboot logo.nologo quiet ipv6.disable=1
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd  /kernel26.img
 }
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

I will try reinstall the system using FTP as source instead of the CD. Is this the way you did it?
Do you think the error can be caused by, I don't have a swap partition?

#5 2011-08-17 19:13:39

lilsirecho
Veteran

Yes, I used FTP instead of the CD as source for the packages.  When reaching the bootloader, I selected grub2 and it downloaded.  Then I skipped the grub edit and continued.

The possibility that occurs to me is that a typo may have caused your fail.  This method of installing avoids the typo possibility.

There could be other reasons for the fail...no doubt!

I am interested in what kernel is installed at this time since linux-3.0.2-1 is latest and may be automatically provided via FTP install.

#6 2011-08-18 08:19:43

KLIM

The CD comes with kernel 2.6.33.4

But in frustration yesterday I tried to update it, and don't really know if it's done right. I booted arch install cd and mounted my root partition. Then I chroot to it and performed a pacman -Syu.
Everything updated fine, and looks like it stored everything on the root partition right. After the update, I wondered if it shouldn't store anything on the boot partition as well. Since some kernel images is stored there.

In just a moment I will try to perform the FTP installation instead and start all over. See if that helps.
Did you use gdisk to partition your SSD, and how did you set the mount points?

#7 2011-08-18 09:25:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

My system is pseudo ssd with 5 CF cards.

I used 2010.05 dual .iso and created a raid0 bootable archlinux system.

The 5 CF cards were all partitioned with 100mb partition #1 and the rest of the 16GB available as partition #2.

Then I selected one of the CF cards for boot partition#1 and another for 100mb swap partition#1.

All of the CF cards partition#2 were made part of the raid0 array with mdadm.(This was done following the partitioning using alt-f2 shell)

Thus when I reached the mount points, I responded to the install procedure by assigning the swap partition firstly (that is the sequence given in the install procedure).

The second step asks for the root partition...this I assigned to the raid array (MD0).

The last step was the boot partition assigned to 100mb partition#1 on the CF card I wished to use for booting.

These steps completed the mount points and the selected fs type for each was then formatted into the partitions.

The FTP install arrangements call for internet to be initiated and a mirror selected.  Everything from that point on is straightforward until grub is selected.

I selected grub2 which was then downloaded.

Since you do not intend to make a raid0 array, you can interpret what I did as to how it applies to your activity.

I feel as a basic point that following the outlined install procedure is best.  This calls for a swap partition and I feel a minimum 100mb is reasonable even with an SSD if....the system has large ram.  Should the system use swap excessively, it should deteriorate slowly anyhow, some cells at random points become unuseable and are programmed out.  The SSD has algorithms controlling the cells in use to minimize excess wear.

In my case, I do not think the CF cards have the algorithms applying to the array in general but do have such things within the individual cards.

This may apply to the SSD if it is similarly laid out as a raid system, probably so...or not!

I am not an expert on SSD devices and am sure I join many others in that regard.  There are several posts regarding the partitioning of the SSD  in the forums.

I am presently booted into my raid system which uses xfce4 DE.

One factor in this approach is that the mount point procedure ends with a success statement after formatting completes.

EDIT:  If you use this FTP install you will install linux-3.0.2-1 kernel.  It should provide the necessary entries in grub to allow booting.

I partitioned the CF cards in cfdisk like a normal HDD.  Edit#2.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2011-08-18 09:38:04)

#8 2011-08-18 09:48:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

Klim:

From what you said about chroot and pacman -Syu I suspect your system is already Linux-3.0.2-1 and you need to change grub kernel line and initrd line to reflect the new kernel..  I am sorry I didn't pay attention to that factor earlier since it is certain that you must have the new kernel installed but grub needs attention as described in archlinux news on archlinux "home" page.

#9 2011-08-18 10:43:12

KLIM

Finally I got my system up and running. First I tried with the normal arch install cd, and choose the FTP install. I couldn't find the GRUB2 package anywhere, so had to install it as the wiki says. (Almost same procedure again)
I got the same error, and after some searching on the forum, I found a guy suggesting to use ArchBoot cd. Then I started all over again, formated and installed with ArchBoot
It had GRUB2 installation and support for managing GPT.
The installation was really straight forward, and rebooted into the new system without any problems. Thumbs up for ArchBoot!

This is solved now, and thanks a lot for the help lilsirecho smile

Board footer