You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-04 04:34:43

elasticdog
Website

Source of the Tarball for AUR Package Submissions?

When submiting a package to the AUR, are we supposed to submit the foo.pkg.tar.gz that makepkg creates in the directory, or do we tar up the entire /var/abs/local/foo/ directory ourselves and send that tarball?

The reason I ask is that when trying to sumbit the tarball created by makepkg directly, I kept receiveing the message "Error - No file uploaded".  I am probably just misunderstanding the documentation, and it looks as though I need to tar up the entire directory, but can anyone set me straight so I can be sure?

#2 2005-07-04 04:48:17

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Source of the Tarball for AUR Package Submissions?

From http://aur.archlinux.org/guidelines.html :

Inside the web interface, a user can submit a tarball (tar.gz) of a directory containing build files for a package. The directory inside the tarball should contain a PKGBUILD, any .install files, patches, etc (no binaries). Examples of what a directory looks like can be seen inside /var/abs.

#3 2005-07-04 05:25:54

elasticdog
Website

Sorry for such the stupid question.  I wrote that while I was at my windows machine at work and didn't have access to the abs directory to compare.  The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to just include the PKGBUILD and not all of the other stuff created by makepkg.  I had read that doc over a bunch of times, but never really picked up the obvious.  Thanks Snowman...patience is a virture :-)

EDIT:  Looking back through some of the documentation, I think where I got confused was from the wiki page ABS - the Arch Build System where it talks about "What is a package file?" in reference to the foo.pkg.tar.gz type file, and when submitting packages to the AUR, it prompts you to "Upload package file:" in reference to the plain old tarball with only the PKGBUILD, .install files, etc...

#4 2005-07-04 08:35:26

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

post a bug for that then mate - I am stickler for the use of correct language - people can be very confused by slightly ambiguous wording!

Board footer