You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-12 09:01:46

krax
Website

Start application (mostly GUI app) in chroot of non-arch livecd

It is some kind of new even for me but I try to find away to do arch-linux setup; while I am chrooting in to the arch linux and using live mediums other than arch or arch livecd familys such as archbang.

Let say I am using crunchbang liveusb and I installed arch using it.
now that I installed it. I want to setup openbox and also I want to be in graphical DE. So I want to find a way to do jobs such as running  gksudo (it is just an example) and obconf or menumaker in chroot.

In IRC; i advised to do:

$ export DISPLAY=':0'
$ xhost +localhost
$ echo $DISPLAY
$ export EDITOR=nano
it'll allow *all* local connections (including your chroot)

But still when I do obconf in terminal in chroot I get 

(chroot) [root@crunchbang /]# obconf

(process:17171): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
No protocol specified

(obconf:17171): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

It would Be great if anyone confirm if it is at all possible and if yes what is that?

T  H  A  N  K  S

#2 2011-08-12 09:09:39

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Start application (mostly GUI app) in chroot of non-arch livecd

Can't help you with that, but I have to ask - if you have installed arch, why can't you just boot into it and setup X/openbox/etc in the normal way?

#3 2011-08-12 09:12:49

krax
Website

because there is only a black screen and a sample, not usable menu.
but the main question the same ??????

#4 2011-08-13 06:10:27

krax
Website

So there is no way out for this?
No ideas, no suggestions

#5 2011-08-13 14:39:42

ANOKNUSA

I think the point tomk was driving at was that if you absolutely need a graphical environment to install Arch, or are unwilling to go through the configuration of the vanilla packages provided, Arch probably isn't the distro for you.  Besides, since all you really need to complete your installation once Openbox is installed are a terminal, web browser and file manager--to access the wiki and do research, use pacman and (if so desired) use the ABS and AUR tools--there isn't much difficulty to finishing your installation.  Oh, and there's this, too; a simple, two-second search turned that up.

#6 2011-08-13 15:05:47

ypnos

1. You should not use ":0", but "localhost:0" to make sure you want to connect to a host using TCP.
2. It may very well be that your live CD does not let the X server listen on TCP, which is actually a security feature
3. Why not follow the Wiki guidelines for Gnome/KDE installation where you will not be thrown into a lifeless X session

4. Finally, if you really insist here is a Workaround:

start sshd from your chroot environment. make sure that X forwarding is enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd.config or what it's called (of your chroot environment!).
then ssh -Y localhost .. you will be able to open GUI applications in your ssh session now, which belongs to your chroot environment.

#7 2011-08-19 06:26:48

krax
Website

Thanks all for your contributions.
But the idea here was doing something nobody does or ever did before; it is the point of being open to new ideas.
and something I could not understand is spending a time in terminal doesn't prove ones ability to deal with advanced distros. hell the child could follow the archwiki because of its through information.

(but somehow i get the feeling that the moderators won't or can't help).
BTW i keep search and if I find the way to active the TCP in livecd; i will post it.
Good luck
PS: ANOKNUSA i got to the same conclusion and I did it. woww openbox rocks

Last edited by krax (2011-08-19 06:28:11)

Board footer