You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-19 11:38:31

scjet
Banned

(new) Audio hardware (input) seems like crap ?

I've had several issues on brand new Motherboards where the Audio out works (although not great),
but the Audio In (Mic) either doesn't work at all, or, it works horribly, with constant "scratchy" sounds.
-adjusting "Capture" and mic levels make NO difference, as far as getting rid of this poor quality audio.
The new Audio hardware that the manufacturers' stick on all these different brand new Motherboards is just CRAP !
(most especially in Linux, but also, I have had the same "mic" poor quality issues in Windows as well ?!)

So I look in my old Parts boxes and I dust-off and old PCI sound card and stick it in:
Soundblaster  card (circa , made in 1999), I picked it up out of a garbage can at work, last year. 
smile
In alsa, it comes up as an Ensoniq AudioPCI; CS4297A
Anyway,  now ALL my audio out/in/Mic levels work beautifully,  not to mention, the sound quality is much more "clear", with no more scratchy Mic sounds.  Skype works great now, ...

It has been over 12 Years !!! since that card was made, and Linux (actually moreso the Audio chip makers) STILL can't get this Audio thing right?
  Sure, pulseaudio is a piece of "caca", we all know that now, no thanks to audio development "ego" discrepancies within Linux too, and yet,
Why can't all these "new" Audio controllers just simply WORK in Linux !!!???
I don't get it ?, especially today.
Sure, for well over $200.00 I can switch to an M-Audio , but for gawd-sakes, it's just Audio.

There must be some Linux Audio/OpenHardware Development project going on somewhere that could easily build an  Audio-PCI card, ...

I mean, it's not like there wouldn't be a Linux world market today for such a thing.
It would sell like hotcakes, and then finally, audio issues in Linux would become a thing of the past.
Everyone I know uses Linux on their desktops. And they/like me have the same age-old "audio" complaints, as I'm sure many of you do as well.

thx for listening,  smile

Rick.

Last edited by scjet (2011-08-19 11:50:47)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#2 2011-08-19 12:34:49

brebs

Re: (new) Audio hardware (input) seems like crap ?

Yeah - it's nuts. The easy solution is hardware-mixing, which almost no soundcards are capable of.

Linux Audio/OpenHardware Development project

I don't think the development costs work out - such a project would be competing with other commercial, closed-source projects with the hardware produced in e.g. Chinese sweat-shops with the workers paid 5 peanuts per week and inhaling poisonous fumes from the manufacturing process. Try competing both ethically and economically with that...

#3 2011-08-19 12:40:12

scjet
Banned

Ya but, for example, M-Audio could easily manufacture, and mass produce a cheap sub-$50 Linux(alsa) sound card (pci, or pci-ex, usb, or whatever). Let Windows find their own drivers' (that way, they'll finally know how we feel now).
I found this guy,
http://www.openhardware.net/
but ?  wink

Last edited by scjet (2011-08-19 12:48:31)

#4 2011-08-19 12:45:52

scjet
Banned

brebs wrote:

Yeah - it's nuts. The easy solution is hardware-mixing, which almost no soundcards are capable of.

Linux Audio/OpenHardware Development project

I don't think the development costs work out - such a project would be competing with other commercial, closed-source projects with the hardware produced in e.g. Chinese sweat-shops with the workers paid 5 peanuts per week and inhaling poisonous fumes from the manufacturing process. Try competing both ethically and economically with that...

Yep,
Its hard to compete with that mess. They probably think "Quality Control" means 1 less peanut per day, hence, no Audio QC
sad

Last edited by scjet (2011-08-19 12:57:34)

#5 2011-08-19 16:34:49

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

It is a case to say: you get what you pay for tongue

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer