You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-22 17:22:30

varliukstis

[Solved] pulseaudio volume control in xfce

Hi, I have been trying to solve one issue for some time now.
With alsa I cannot have sound from multiple sources at once so I configure alsa to use pulseaudio as default as mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … figuration. But the volume cannot be controled via amixer (in example amixer set Master toggle). If I would not use pulse audio by default volume control works fine but I cannot play sound from multiple sources (firefox and clementine in the same time for example). How could I fix this issues?

Last edited by varliukstis (2011-08-30 11:57:02)

#2 2011-08-22 17:26:37

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] pulseaudio volume control in xfce

Not sure if I get it, but have you tried http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort … =&limit=50 ?

#3 2011-08-22 19:30:19

varliukstis

yes, I use pavucontrol. By saying 'controling sound' I meant special keyboard shortcuts, which are defined in settings -> keyboard.

#4 2011-08-23 07:01:03

alez

Did you try xfce4-volumed? It's in the AUR and you can try to configure the default channel as shown here
Still, I am in no way sure it will work, it does with Alsa in my system and apparently does so with PA in Xubuntu so maybe worth trying it.

Linux makes you a better person

#5 2011-08-23 07:28:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Set the default control (ctl.!default) to pulse. Or create a ctl.pulse object of type pulse and set it with

amixer -D pulse sset Master 5%=

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-08-23 07:32:00

varliukstis

Ok, I've installed xfce4-volumed. There is no manual or help file added. How is it configured? Or if it is configured automatically, then it doesn't work...

#7 2011-08-23 07:47:29

varliukstis

it seems that the only problem is with default output device, but changing it like described in wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … User_Space) doesn't work. Error output while trying to open alsamixer after editing asoundrc:   cannot open mixer: Invalid argument.

#8 2011-08-24 10:08:10

ludwis

I'm wondering why you can't play sound from multiple sources. I'm using alsa and I've never had problems with sound mixing. Maybe you should focus on the mixing problem instead of installing pulseaudio. Maybe your sound card doesn't support hardware mixing. Have you tried installing a software mixer?

Regarding your last post, have you seen this?

#9 2011-08-25 01:10:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ludwis wrote:

I'm wondering why you can't play sound from multiple sources. I'm using alsa and I've never had problems with sound mixing. Maybe you should focus on the mixing problem instead of installing pulseaudio. Maybe your sound card doesn't support hardware mixing. Have you tried installing a software mixer?

Regarding your last post, have you seen this?

That's what pulseaudio is, in a simplistic sense...

Alsa should default to dmix currently, but misbehaving applications can break this.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2011-08-30 11:56:47

varliukstis

hmm.. Lidwis, my sound card does support it smile It just didn't work somewhy.

I uninstalled pulseaudio just to have volume control working. But now  audio from multiple sources works also... No idea why this happened as while trying to fix all problems i installed and uninstalled pulseaudio several times...

All in all.. i think problem solved itself somehow... smile

Board footer