You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-20 23:56:02

DrKillPatient

Sound and brightness on a Macbook

I've got my Macbook 6.1 set up so that I can adjust the sound and the brightness through Pommed.
However, the brightness keys only work to adjust the brightness while I'm in console. Once X is loaded, they don't do anything. In addition, while I'm in the console, they can only adjust the brightness to three degrees (I estimate 128/256/512), rather than OSX's more precise 16. Can it be configured to increase small steps?
Alsamixer works fine for adjusting the sound as well, but can I make the volume keys on the keyboard turn it up and down?

Also, is there a way to display these changes, like how OSX shows its volume/brightness overlay?

EDIT: And while I'm at it, how can I detect the battery's remaining charge and print it to, say, conky?
EDIT2: I've noticed that the sound adjustment works fine. But the volume keys make an annoying blip whenever I use them, I'd prefer that to be off. What can I do to fix that?

Last edited by DrKillPatient (2011-08-21 03:23:16)

#2 2011-08-22 05:28:19

Iknow
Website

Re: Sound and brightness on a Macbook

For the keys, have you tried adding them into your WMs key configuration?
Set them to execute xbacklight with the '-inc <percent>' and '-dec <percent>' options respectively.

Same for the volume keys, but get them to call 'amixer' like so:

amixer -q -c 0 sset Master 5dB+ // increase master volume by 5 decibels
    amixer -q -c 0 sset Master 5dB-  // decrease master volume by 5 decibels

I'm not sure what you mean by OSX showing it's volume/brightness overlay, so i can't help you there.

For battery life try acpi from the repos.

EDIT: removed a line, added some stuff, amazing what you can find in the wiki & forums.

Last edited by Iknow (2011-08-22 05:38:49)

#3 2011-08-22 17:11:08

DrKillPatient

By volume overlay I mean it shows a little popup with the current volume and brightness. I vaguely remember a file containing the brightness value, I guess I could print that to conky. Found it, I can use a script to echo the output of "cat /sys/class/backlight/apple_backlight/brightness", which is a value from 0 to 15, directly to conky. However, I don't know where pommed keeps its file for storing the value of the current volume setting! Where is that one?

Last edited by DrKillPatient (2011-08-22 18:56:16)

#4 2011-08-23 08:47:47

Iknow
Website

Dunno about pommed, but if you just want to find your current volume:

amixer get Master|tail -n1|sed -r 's/.*\[(.*)%\].*/\1/'

ripped from here.

returns your volume as a percentage minus the '%' symbol, for example if volume is 20% it returns 20.
it should be easy enough pipe it into conky.

Board footer