You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-04 21:26:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Tutorials for that ugly language

I think I'm going to be doing some PERL programming at work. I've tried hinting that Python would be better, but people don't have the good sense to listen to me. Or else its just easier not to bother.  8)

I haven't done any PERL programming in five years, with very good reason. I vaguely remember the syntax, and I know its not any different from any other scripting language except for being painfully ugly. So it'll probably take me about 15 minutes to get up to speed.

Can anybody recommend a quick read refresher tutorial for PERL. Something that would not make a Python coder sick?

Also, I wouldn't mind a quick reference, similar to the Python library reference, only uglier. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,
Dusty

#2 2005-07-04 21:30:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Tutorials for that ugly language

Can anybody recommend a quick read refresher tutorial for PERL. Something that would not make a Python coder sick?

That is the key..hmm..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-07-04 21:47:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Answering my own question:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlintro.html

it looks like a nice quick reference. I have to confess it made me a little queasy, but sometimes you gotta eat poison.

Dusty

#4 2005-07-04 21:49:45

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

blech. that made me want to run off screaming to the lovely waiting arms of my ruby.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-07-04 23:59:04

i3839

If you implement the thing they want in python in much less time than they expected then you most likely convinced them that you may use python in the future. Say one hour a day the python thing, and the rest in your free time. If you do it well you never have to use perl again.

#6 2005-07-05 00:31:59

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

ha!

Wouldn't it be nice if thats all there was to it....

Board footer