You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-30 19:31:12

tydell
Website

Question about using LightDM

Hello
I wonder if someone is using LightDM (Light Display Manager). There is a lot of articles on websites last time about this dm and i would like to try to use this and find out is it usable. There is a package in AUR, it installs fine, but there is no how-to or some wiki to tell how to use it and configure.
Maybe someone could tell something more about it.

Thanks a lot

#2 2010-12-02 00:17:19

drm
Website

Re: Question about using LightDM

I don't know lightdm, but usually display managers have a daemon that is started through an rc script as superuser. My first guess would be to check the /etc/rc.d/ directory for a new script that might lead to controlling the daemon, something like /etc/rc.d/ldm or so.

If that's not the case, and the package does not come with an rc script, a good pointer might be to check what files the package has installed. You can do that by calling

$ pacman -Ql packagename

HTH

#3 2010-12-02 09:07:05

nbvcxz

tydell wrote:

There is a package in AUR, it installs fine, but there is no how-to or some wiki to tell how to use it and configure.
Maybe someone could tell something more about it.

Installing with aur PKGBUILD you have script : /etc/rc.d/lightdm so finally you can autostart it adding to your DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf
All config is done by /etc/lightdm.conf which is well commented - just try to play change the values
btw it seems to be very nice login manager, but I would like to compile it without gnome-doc-utils to avoid unnecessary deps.
And one important thing - please remember that all sessions are started through .desktop files placed in /usr/share/xsessions

Last edited by nbvcxz (2010-12-02 11:53:03)

Lenovo G50 | LXQT-git | compton | conky

#4 2011-08-19 22:20:44

krax
Website

How about sstarting it in inittab instead like normal displaymanager?
and how about logout script based on it? where could i find them?

#5 2011-08-20 05:53:48

Anonymo
Website

krax wrote:

I would also like to know what the command for /etc/inittab is.  I looked in teh wiki and couldn't find it.

Last edited by Anonymo (2011-08-20 05:54:12)

#6 2011-08-23 14:51:58

futuremonkey

Anonymo wrote:
krax wrote:

I would also like to know what the command for /etc/inittab is.  I looked in teh wiki and couldn't find it.

The wiki page for Lightdm says:

Lightdm can be loaded on startup by entering it in your daemons array in rc.conf or by modifying inittab. See Display Manager for detailed instructions.

... and of course, the Display Manager wiki page doesn't say a single word about Lightdm specifically, and the syntax that works for gdm/kdm/slim et al. doesn't seem to do the trick.

Last edited by futuremonkey (2011-08-23 15:00:42)

#7 2011-08-23 19:19:11

toketin

I've tried Lightdm but the system starts in English not Italian, why? I'm using Xfce

#8 2011-08-23 20:29:52

b9anders

trying it out today. Very buggy. Doesn't recognise my localisation. Has messed up my $PATH, no mouse cursor at the login screen and no apparent inittab launch.

Shame, if it just did what it is supposed to it would be a terrific alternative to gdm for non-gnome users.

#9 2011-08-24 12:00:09

toketin

b9anders wrote:

trying it out today. Very buggy. Doesn't recognise my localisation. Has messed up my $PATH, no mouse cursor at the login screen and no apparent inittab launch.

Shame, if it just did what it is supposed to it would be a terrific alternative to gdm for non-gnome users.

Yes you are right, try out Lxdm big_smile

#10 2011-08-24 14:15:41

b9anders

toketin wrote:
b9anders wrote:

Yes you are right, try out Lxdm big_smile

I did actually end up trying that instead. Looks very good. Much improved since the last time I looked at it.

Is there a way to make it show a userlist?

#11 2011-10-10 06:42:30

Padfoot

Just installed lightdm from AUR here and it is working fine.

$PATH is set corrrectly and is launching from inittab. Looks really good.

For those who want to launch it via inittab, just use:

x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/lightdm >& /dev/null

Cheers.

Board footer