You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-28 13:46:32

stefano

libtool error in installation of Player/stage robotic simulator

Dear all,

I am trying to install the latest versions of the player/stage robotic environment from source (no updated AURs are available for stage, an old one for player). Installation works fine, but when I run the environment on a test simulation, the app runs into problems because libtool cannot find the proper libraries to load. This is the error message I get (from the player app):

error   : Failed to load plugin stageplugin.
error   : libtool reports error: file not found
error   : plugin search path: /usr/local/lib64:/home/stefano/Documents/Projects/Homeostat/Simulator:/usr/local/share/stage/worlds:/usr/local/lib64/
error   : failed to load plugin: stageplugin
error   : failed to parse config file /usr/local/share/stage/worlds/simple.cfg driver blocks

now, the stageplugin is contained in a library called libstage.so. It is located in /usr/local/lib64, which is on the search path the player program lists, as well as being in the LD_RUN_PATH and the  LD_LIBRARY_PATH. 
Since the same installation from source works fine in a recent Ubuntu box, I am thinking that there may be some peculiarities in the ArchLinux environment or in its configuration of libtool that may be responsible for the error.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Stefano

#2 2011-05-28 14:43:30

vadmium

Re: libtool error in installation of Player/stage robotic simulator

Libtool likes having *.la descriptor files for all its libraries; maybe make sure nothing is deleting them.

#3 2011-05-28 15:13:00

karol
Archivist

I have no idea what those apps are supposed to do, but I've installed http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18798 and http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20831 on my i686 and

[karol@black ~]$ player /usr/share/stage/worlds/simple.cfg
Registering driver
Player v.3.0.2

* Part of the Player/Stage/Gazebo Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net].
* Copyright (C) 2000 - 2009 Brian Gerkey, Richard Vaughan, Andrew Howard,
* Nate Koenig, and contributors. Released under the GNU General Public License.
* Player comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
* are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see COPYING
* for details.

invoking player_driver_init()...
 Stage driver plugin init

** Stage plugin v3.2.2 **
 * Part of the Player Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net]
 * Copyright 2000-2009 Richard Vaughan, Brian Gerkey and contributors.
 * Released under the GNU General Public License v2.

success
 Stage plugin:  6665.simulation.0 is a Stage world
Segmentation fault

What now, how can I debug this further?

Oh, I do see the window [1[ for a split second.

[1] http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/doc/ … latedrobot : "You should get the Stage window, with a single red robot."

Last edited by karol (2011-05-28 15:15:11)

#4 2011-05-28 15:52:35

stefano

Karol:

player /stage is a robotic simulation environment. Player is the robot server, which can be installed on a real robot or made to work with the simulated robots and simulated worlds provided by stage. The segfault you got  is probably due to a syntax mismatch between the version of player and the version of stage installed by the AUR package. Player is very finicky about the syntax of the configuration files (the .cfg file it loads at startup), and if some expression is not exactly as it expects it it segfaults.  In fact,  I was trying to install the latest versions from source precisely to avoid these kind of problems.

However, your installation from the AUR packages avoids the libtool problems I am running into. Is there any way to find out, on the basis of the info in the PKGBUIKLD file, I guess, which configuration information I am missing when installing from source? I am new to ArchLinux, I am afraid, and I don't know yet how to do so myself.

Cheers,

Stefano

#5 2011-05-28 16:22:31

karol
Archivist

stefano wrote:

The segfault you got  is probably due to a syntax mismatch between the version of player and the version of stage installed by the AUR package. Player is very finicky about the syntax of the configuration files (the .cfg file it loads at startup), and if some expression is not exactly as it expects it it segfaults.  In fact,  I was trying to install the latest versions from source precisely to avoid these kind of problems.

Thanks for explaining the likely cause of the segfault. I just picked what was in the AUR, so a syntax mismatch makes sense.

stefano wrote:

However, your installation from the AUR packages avoids the libtool problems I am running into. Is there any way to find out, on the basis of the info in the PKGBUIKLD file, I guess, which configuration information I am missing when installing from source? I am new to ArchLinux, I am afraid, and I don't know yet how to do so myself.

I thought that by "installing from source" you meant "installing using AUR, not from the repos" ;P Now I get what you actually meant is "installing the latest version available upstream".

Apart from the PKGBUILDs that are in the AUR I have no idea about the configuration and the only thing I see is some sed magic:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/player/PKGBUILD

build() {
  cd "${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}"

sed -i s/lib64/lib/ cmake/internal/SetupDirectories.cmake
  sed -i '1i #include <cstddef>' server/drivers/blobfinder/shapetracker/shapetracker.cc
  sed -i '1i #include <cstddef>' server/drivers/blobfinder/upcbarcode/upcbarcode.cc
  cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_SKIP_BUILD_RPATH=TRUE
  make
}
[karol@black ~]$ locate libstage.so
/usr/lib/libstage.so
/usr/lib/libstage.so.3.2.2

So you can see, I have it installed in a different place - it's not in /usr/local/lib64.

#6 2011-05-29 14:52:41

stefano

Well,

I edited  the cmake config files in the source code(s) to redirect the installation to /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/local/lib64, but nothing changes. Same libtool error.

Stefano

#7 2011-08-24 19:07:15

DiegoAddan

Hello

I'm trying to install the Stage, the dependencies (OpenCV + FFmpeg and Gearbox) and the player were installed without problems, however when I try to "make" in the build folder of the Stage show errors in callbacks.o and region.o

Also installed the FLTK and libpng

I appreciate any hint ...

Diego

Last edited by DiegoAddan (2011-08-24 19:10:40)

Board footer