You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-04 08:07:15

miracle

Should Arch have a common input method ?

Should Arch have a common input method ?

Arch is a really great distro,so I think there are a lots of arch users all over the world.
And I believe that more and more people will know Arch,use Arch,Love to use Arch 
But I am curious about that : everyone use english only? Just input English only?

For me I need a input method to input Chinese in gedit,gnome-terminal,openoffice and so on.
I guess some users( in particular for non-English users) also need it for their own language.
So I eager hope Arch will  official have common method support.
And SCIM is a good choice--Smart Common Input Method.

Old Homepage    http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/scim
New homepage  http://www.scim-im.org/
And http://sourceforge.net/projects/scim/

SCIM is the defaults Chinene input moethod in SUSE Mandriva(formerly mandrake),and included in Fedoa's Repo.
Tt also is the defauls input moethod for CJK(Chinese/Korea/Japanese) users,SCIM  supports a large
number of input methods in a bunch of languages,and trying to enumerate all the input method
engines and their corresponding languages.

scim- scim is the core package, which provides the fundamental routines and data types
      skim - An input method based on SCIM library and KDE/QT.
      scim-{anthy,canna,prime,skk,wnn} -  IMEngines for Japanese
      scim-chewing - IMEngine for  Tranditional Chinese
      scim-pinyin- Currently contains a Smart Pinyin IMEngine for Simplified Chinese.
      scim-fcitx - fcitx ported to scim for Chinese
      scim-tables - Contains many table based input methods.
      scim-uim - A wrapper to use uim as an IMEngine of SCIM.
      scim-m17n - A wrapper to use m17n library as an IMEngine of SCIM.
      scim-qtimm - Qt-immodule support for scim.
      scim-hangul - A Hangul !IMEngine which is ported from imhangul project.
      scim-input-pad - scim-input-pad is an OnScreen input pad for SCIM used to input some symbols very easily

#2 2005-07-04 08:15:29

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Should Arch have a common input method ?

seems like needless complixity to me.

if people want localized versions, then they are free to include and install any packages they want.

But to force everyone to use something that they dont need?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-07-04 08:31:33

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

to play devils advocate - you wouldn't say that if you were Chinese or Russian would you, cactus?

i don't know much about this scim stuff so I can't comment on how good it would be

#4 2005-07-04 08:49:05

miracle

@ cactus . I think you  misunderstood some thing . or I expressed it not clearly. smile

Not to forece  everyone to use SCIM,just hope Arch users who want SCIM can install it by pacman -Sy scim.
SCIM now are not in arch's repo, just 3 packages(scim, scim-pinyin,scim-tables) in AUR.

I think  it is very  important and wondeful for non-English users that SCIM can have official support by Arch Developer teams.

#5 2005-07-04 08:55:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

@dibble: in fact, I would. Then i would set out to make the packages myself so I could use them, or try to form a group of like minded individuals to create a language specific port.

@miracle: That makes far more sense, and I appreciate the clarification. I misunderstood it that scim would have to somehow be supported on a base level by all other packages that require user input.

I agree, that it is important for people to have access to an OS in their own language. I am not sure that the devs need to support many languages themselves though. A seperate group devoted to internationalization maybe, but the devs have plenty to do as it is.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2005-07-04 09:35:13

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

cactus wrote:

@dibble: in fact, I would. Then i would set out to make the packages myself so I could use them, or try to form a group of like minded individuals to create a language specific port.

i don't want to start a massive fight about this cactus because you know I respect your views but i wonder how a group of people that require internationalization support can collaborate on a project without a common language?

We can already see that miracle is doing his best to get his point across with varying sucess, i can't imagine trying to achieve many harder things in the internet environment, never mind establishing a project.  Of course this is well within the users power but i really think that in this instance non-enlgish speaking users would greatly benefit from the support of experience Arch Users who have english as first langauge.

miracle - if the PKGs are in the AUR you need to contact other arch users, possibly on the other languages forums, and tell them to vote for the scim pkgs smile

#7 2005-07-04 09:57:43

iphitus
Forum Fellow

keyboards are good!

.....that's not what we're talking about is it....

#8 2005-07-04 10:10:15

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

massive fight? did I miss something?

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#9 2005-07-04 10:44:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i said "start" a massive fight - so you've not missed anything

#10 2005-07-04 12:16:45

whisky
Website

actually, I am preparing all these with dp now, there is already gcin (a chinese - input engin/gateway) in the repo, and scim with its IME are all in our list.

#11 2005-07-04 12:27:32

miracle

iphitus wrote:

keyboards are good!

But we cann't input Chinese,Japanese,Korea,French,Russian.......  just via keyboards,we have to use keyboards+input method to input them  smile

dibble,thanks for your suggestion  smile

#12 2005-07-05 09:26:14

HybridTheory

Yeah,a common input method is useful and important for us Chinese and also other people who dont use English as their native language.

In fact SCIM is just a package like gcin or vim or firefox,if you dont need it , just dont install it and everthing is ok.And you know in China,not everybody uses linux  and english,if they find linux is so hard to use that if they want to express their thoughts they have to do a lot of work,not just 'pacman -S' as other packages,they will be very disappointed and will have no confidence to use linux any more,what a pitty.

sorry for my poor English.

#13 2005-07-07 20:16:32

dp
Website

hey all. i didn't find this thread in the beginning, because of lack of time to check forums on regular basis. i started implementing i18n in archlinux and as you can see, there is some progress in extra going on with gcin and ttf fonts for chinese/japanese/...

scim/skim is also on my list and with help of 2 members of the community, it will be soon in extra as well.

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#14 2005-07-11 02:27:08

WaFuSan
Website

A special input method is not needed for french. Anyway, I would appreciate scim as a package, because it looks like the most flexible input method to me... An explanation about how to get it work with openoffice would be nice too btw  roll

#15 2005-07-12 14:34:30

miracle

SCIM will be in extra repo soon,So this poll should be close.
Please close it thanks!

#16 2005-07-18 08:22:45

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

8)

#17 2005-08-13 06:38:06

fluke
Website

a chinese input method is very important for me
what would you think about if you cant chat with your friends?

#18 2005-08-22 03:47:09

hongy19
Website

a chinese input application is vary important for me.

Board footer