You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-26 13:59:34

VincentK

Errors after crash

So recently I had a crash, with my computer making a high pitched noise, ending with me having to manually turn off my computer.

When I rebooted, I got to the GRUB interface fine, but when I chose either Arch or Windows, it would give me different error messages.

When I chose Windows, it would give me:

Booting 'Windows'
rootnoverify (hd0,0) chainloader +1
Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
Press any key to continue...

When I chose Arch, it would give me:

Booting 'Arch Linux'
root (hd1,0) Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7 kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/0f0f7515-0437-4515-9c1e-f65ea022ec1d ro
Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
Press any key to continue...

I think the crash may have been to overheating, as I had been running my computer for more than 14 hours on Windows, so at first I thought it was a hard drive failure. After using SeaTools on my hard drive, it came back fine, so now I was told it could be my GRUB installation that got messed up, but I don't know, I could use some help, I'm still new to this.

#2 2011-08-26 15:17:44

stqn
Website

Re: Errors after crash

Boot from a live USB/CD, check if your partitions and files are where they should be... Maybe check your hard drive (SMART data), reinstall grub... The fact that neither windows nor linux boot could indicate a problem with grub or the partition table, or a bigger problem with the HD.

#3 2011-08-26 16:17:20

VincentK

stqn wrote:

Boot from a live USB/CD, check if your partitions and files are where they should be... Maybe check your hard drive (SMART data), reinstall grub... The fact that neither windows nor linux boot could indicate a problem with grub or the partition table, or a bigger problem with the HD.

I tried reinstalling GRUB and followed here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GRUB_Error_17
I think you're right, it may be my hard drive failing.

#4 2011-08-26 18:13:49

MoonSwan

The only time I have ever heard a PC whine at a high pitch / volume, it was my girlfriend's pc.  Her previous PSU was faulty it turned out.  You may want to listen to see if the PSU is still emitting a lower pitched whine and, if it is, replace it very quickly.

Her current PSU, for some odd reason, will whine forever  if the PC is put into a suspended state.

Board footer