You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-23 21:30:52

DrKillPatient

Fluctuating connections

I have a conky config that displays my upload/download speed. I always seem to be downloading at 2-5 kb/s according to this, even if I haven't yet made any connections (eg. browsers or manual connection to servers otherwise). Should this be happening?

Unsure if this will help, but: My netstat output tells me I'm only connected (both 'established') to localhost.locald:mshvlm, listed twice, but the foreign and local addresses of both entries are the reverse of the other. One of them has the value of 202 in Send-Q, while the other is zero.

Some googling tells me that 'mshvlm' relates to port 6600, I remember that's where my audio for MPD goes (among other services, I assume). I figure maybe Conky is incorrectly measuring that port as being part of a connection to outside servers? However, turning the internet off entirely causes it to stop. I'm stumped!

Last edited by DrKillPatient (2011-08-23 21:33:28)

#2 2011-08-26 21:54:03

pigiron

Re: Fluctuating connections

First problem: you don't state if this is wireless or wired... I'm gonna assume wireless.

I always seem to be downloading at 2-5 kb/s according to this, even if I haven't yet made any connections

I've had this happen with the rt2870sta wireless driver. That particular driver is compiled from Ralink's source code and is not part of the "official" Linux code. It "bypassed" much of the "official" Linux networking stack, therefore causing conky (or any other network "meter") to show a low and semi-constant activity when there really wasn't any.

Not sure if this is what you're seeing though... so I'd fire up wireshark, or tcpdump, or ??? to be certain.

Board footer